Angela Rayner's lack of grammar

I agree. My dad was born in 1910 and received no grammar school education. He was an apprentice pin setter in a mill and later a bus driver. He must have gained some sort of technical training as when he joined the RAF he was a fitter-armourer.
Anyway, the point is that despite having no real ‘book learning’ he made sure I could read and write and spell correctly, and he also had excellent handwriting.

3 Likes

Principally that she, and many of the Labour front bench appear to be more aware and sensitive to the needs of the general public’s needs than the government.

Top 10 Hardest UK Accents To Imitate - YouTube

Well, a fairly wide selection of the ‘Top 10 Hardest UK Accents to Imitate’.
However, apart from the ten featured, I spotted the absence of one blatently missing.
I wonder if anyone can guess which?

My Mum and Dad were the same. They were both very intelligent but Dad left school about 14. Mum went on to Technical College to study what was then Domestic Science.

They both had beautiful handwriting and when I went to grammar school and they tried to teach me about fractions and decimals, I was amazed that they could already both do these quite comfortably.

1 Like

Angela Rayner almost seems to revel in her poor background and doesn’t want to better herself and still looks and behaves like someone from an underclass.,

I have read all Alan Johnson’s book (former postman who went on to be a Trade Unionist, Labour MP and Home Secretary).

Now he really did have a poor background! Born in 1950 to a woman who was abandoned by his father to bring up him and his older sister in the slums of London. No benefits, condemned flats, water running down the walls. His mother died when he was about 13 and his sister who was then only 15 brought him up by herself.

He has bettered himself over the years and is now a well known author and columnist but he has moved on and looks and acts the part in any situation.

1 Like

@Omah ," Moss side Manchester, 1960s"
Ha ha ! That should shut er up Omah?? :grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

But what does to “better one’s self” actually mean? And who should decide on what needs to be done - and why? Take elocution lessons? Or maybe study a subject to increase their knowledge out of academic curiosity? Or study a subject to enabling furthering one’s chosen career?

This!

1 Like

Well, it’s not really Lancashire … but close … :slightly_smiling_face:

In fact, I do live in Lancashire and have done for some time.

It’s about time we had some ordinary decent people running the country. I’ve no time for those with a superiority and/or inferiority complex.

2 Likes

Yes it is. Lancashire extends as far south as the Mersey.
I’m just south of that river in Stockport, and so in Cheshire.

1 Like

I worry someone might suggest elocution lessons, à la Thatcher :astonished:

1 Like

I would describe it as being able to adapt your behaviour to any social occasion. To mix with people from all walks of life and be comfortable and also make them feel comfortable. I think most people try to get better jobs, better homes, better income. Nothing wrong with that!

Even though you might have grown up in very impoverished circumstances it doesn’t mean you have to walk around in scruffy clothes and show yourself up with poor social skills. I believe most people want to better themselves.

I said earlier that there are many people who came from very humble backgrounds and have still retained their regional accents. They have however, educated themselves and they get their points over so eloquently that people love listening to them and admire them.

Angela Rayner just comes across as very common and she has dreadful manners - shouting over people, using offensive language and she is just very, very unpleasant.

I like Rayner but then to each their own. As for getting “suited and booted” it’s only for very formal occasions I ever have.

To answer the original post in that does it matter is someone’s grammar or spelling for that matter is incorrect I think not, there are those that want to point this out as they believe that they are better than others, I certainly have worked with these types that think they are better because they feel they can point out grammatical inaccuracies. utter twats in my opinion.

2 Likes

But you are not a politician in the public eye , we have already had scruffy Johnson we don’t need scruffy Rayner . She talks well but her untidy appearance let’s her down . Men might think it’s great but remember half of voters are woman and she has a lot further to go to convince me to vote Labour .
I want someone who has serious policies and has a fairly serious demeanour as well . So ditch the three foot extensions they may have looked ok on Boudicca but tthey just look chavish on Angela and invest in some decent clothes suitable for the HOC .

2 Likes

Her voice was high pitched and rather shrill.
She had lessons to lower the pitch.

You could say she learnt how to lower the tone :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Apparently not:

This is now .
The borders of Lancashire only changed in 1974 and much of what was Lancashire became Cheshire .
Manchester and Merseyside were Lancashire .

I know - I’m an ex Wyre Council mapping officer.