An interesting item about electric vehicles …

Absolutely.

I watched ‘Love on the Dole’ last night. A down-to-earth film set in Salford in the 1930s.

In those days there was none of this expectation and demanding of rights. No automatic dole. At one point, handouts were means-tested; if the man of the house was made redundant and another member of the family was still working - no handouts.
Trips down to the pawn shop were commonplace and routine.

Times were hard, very hard, yet the vast majority of people wouldn’t dream of breaking the law. Whether that was good consciences or strict punishments, I’m not sure.

People in those days certainly knew the difference between ‘wants’ and ‘needs’.

Back to EVs - that was the topic wasn’t it?

The typical household uses about 13kWh per day.
An average EV typically has a battery of say 30kWh to 50kWh. Or about 3 to 4 times that of current household use.

Where’s that going to come from?

If eco-warriors have their way, lots of lovely windmills!

In reality, I reckon more nuclear power stations.

EVs IS Still the topic Besoeker! it is the other side of the
equation? Demand as opposed to supply, which your posts
mostly deal with, your latest, above, sets out very clearly the
problems we face with the present infrastructure in satisfying
the peak demand requirements for going over to EVs!
I think the example you give above is the clearest, most
understandable l have read thus far, even a politician should
be able to grasp it?
It is clear from this that it will have to be brought on stream
in carefully managed stages over an extended period of
time?
We should start with one city as a test subject, and then
extend from there with any modifications that are found
neccassary
I believe it will need a couple of new nuclear power stations
to supply the basic power so it wont be cheap!

Regards Donkeyman!

PS the sooner we start the better so we must get our
politics sorted out first! GHU!

Thank you for your kind words, Mr DM.

Nuclear power hasn’t been popular with the public. It seems to generate fear of the unknown and the notion that they posed a security risk of theft of fissionable material by terrorist.

There are currently about eight operational in UK and currently producing about 17% of our national demand. As it stands, they are all subject to closure by 2035. No doubt, some will extensions.

What are the reasons for closure Besoeker! End of useful
life or political? Like looking for votes etc! I see the new one
in the west country has been halted, due l believe to the
French company building it going bust? we’ve built them before
why cant we do lt again?

Regards Donkeyman!

Of course we can. The reason we are not expanding is due to political ineptness and their fear of the eco-warriors.

We have been in the forefront of nuclear power development.

We really should have many more. Yes, there have been potentially dangerous events - in other countries, not ours. The only ‘events’ in this country were minor leaks which didn’t cause any deaths or even illnesses.

To put that into perspective, compare that to the number of people who have died in most other industries, and especially in the coal mining industry, in the UK.

The benefits heavily outweigh the risks, which are minimal due to our experience and safety measures.

I don’t know but EOL would seem most likely although extensions are being proposed.

I suppose we could build them again. But they were vote losers for the parties and the gestation period was longer than a Parliamentary term so didn’t get on the manifesto.

Also, I think, to a great extent, we lost the knowledge and manufacturing skills.

I don’t know where we will go with this if EV legislation gets enacted. It seems clear to me that the technical limitations of source energy have not been thought through.

But who am I to say? My background is power electronics. Not so much generation and distribution systems although there have been crossover areas. And electrical theory is electrical theory.

Hope they are backing the right technologies.

What the future should be, and what the future will be, could turn out to be two very different things, as far as UK energy goes.

That’s an interesting item to read on that link, thanks for posting it. :slight_smile:

Smart meter. Smart meters explained: Why do we need one? | Express.co.uk

A lot of evidence that we are being ripped off Cindy!
And l think our politicians are involved by being in collusion
with big business in a lot of these projects?
Thanks for the link!
Regards Donkeyman!

German study suggests electric vehicles are responsible for more CO2 generation than diesel cars.

Very interesting, but I’m sure that our eco-warriors will deny it!

A point that is ignored in the report is that electric motors make far more efficient use of the energy they consume than an internal combustion engine.

A division of our company made electric motors of the type commonly used in EVs. Permanent magnet brushless DC motors. Our market for them was the machine tool industry (based on their dynamic performance).

Factory testing of these motors gave efficiencies of 97% or better. A typical IC engine struggles to make 40%.

is it not typical of the woolley thinking by politicians and inventors and manufactures

OOH LETS HAVE ELECTRIC CARS IN THE FUTURE

What a load of BS. Apart from charging issues and battery replacement - they don’t go for long distances anyway.

There you are on the M6 with a fully charged electric vehicle. you either run out of power and stop in the middle lane causing an accident or spend the next few hours waiting for the electric car in front to charge up before you get to the charging point. So next day you may be able to continue your journey.

These so called “experts” to my mind are complete idiots and not thinking things through first. Yet manufactures are going full steam ahead such as Land Rover for example. UTTER MADNESS

I’m not totally averse to EVs but I see four main problems/limitations.

[LIST=1]
[]Range.
[
]Recharge time
[]The energy source network
[
]Our inability to store energy in any great quantity for immediate use.
[/LIST]

I have no wish to have an electric car for these very reasons.

The technology and the infrastructure is not ready for them yet.

As I understand it, the only reason they are presently in the public eye is the claim that they are ‘eco-friendly’ which, as has been shown, they are not. A poorly thought-out government ideology, and not the only one either.

I’m not convinced that the article cited clearly demonstrates that to be the case. See post #55.

Electric motors, like electric heating, are certainly more efficient than other options.

However, compare the cost of electric heating to that of gas and other fuels!