Amusing Happenings On Trains?

Back when they still had Corridor Trains, I was riding one up from Southampton to Hull.

There were, only, a couple of people, in our compartment, so two sailors, each carrying large kit bags, joined us for the trip.

At one of the stops, Peterborough I think, one of the Sailors spotted sandwiches being sold at the Platform.

He opened the little sliding window and asked the seller to make up a couple of Sandwiches for him & his pal.

Then he rushed down the corridor to go and collect them.

Then the train started to move off.
The other sailor spotted that his pal hadn’t got back, so he picked up his pal’s kit bag, rushed up the corridor and threw the kit bag out onto the platform, just before the train left the the station.

“That was a near thing”, he said, “Matey would have been without all of his kit if I hadn’t done that!”,

Then the compartment door slid open
!..

1 Like

Brilliant!

I once had a fat bloke fall asleep on me!
I was on the window seat, he was on the aisle, he dropped off and I was squashed between him and the window :rofl:

Oh, and when I was young I got flashed at on the train by a one legged man

1 Like

HaHa!

but maybe not funny at the time?

I’d better not mention the Reading to London train which stops, at Twickenham, to pick up lots of merry Rugby fans!

where there are so few toilets on the train!

1 Like

Eugh!

1 Like

Was that on the Southern line?
I commuted from Reading for years and never went near Twickers.Thankfully.

Yes, Reading, Wokingham Bracknell, etc, up to London.

yesterday was the first time on a train for at least 40 or more years so a completely new experience for me. The station we went to so we could catch a local train to brighton would you believe no ticket office or station staff, what a way to run a railway.

I caught it once by mistake.Didn’t realize it went through Twickenham though.I remember all the city types in their bowler hats embarking from places like Ascot and Virginia Water.It stopped everywhere and took hours to get to Waterloo.I didn’t do it again.

We were late leaving Paddington and as I walked through First Class one old gent opened a window and called a passing porter.“I think we deserve at least an apology old boy” And minutes later we got it over the tannoy.

My old man (and my grandmother) were brilliant card players, they could remember every card dealt. During the war my old man made enough money from playing cards to buy a house.

Anyway he, my brother and I were on a train going to Butlins at Pwllheli in north Wales, I think I was about 10.

Two blokes entered the compartment and started playing poker (they were card sharks who made a living getting people on trains to play cards with them) after a while they asked my old man if he would like to play, he said something along the lines of, “Oh I don’t really know the game very well” which seemed odd to me because I knew that he was a very good player especially at Brag (I think that is the name, it is a variety of poker).

They played for a while allowing him to win before they started to raise the stakes, to cut a long story short he cleaned them out. The only thing he did was stop them shuffling between hands which they are not supposed to do apparently.They were quite bitter and complained that he told them he never played, he just laughed.

It was one of our best holidays ever we even went for a ride on an airplane joy ride.

Someone mentioned Twickenham. That was part of my old stamping ground between Hampton Hill, Teddington and Richmond. Anyone remember those Trolley Buses?

@LongDriver ,. Yep ! Bloody brilliant weren’t they ?
Silent and the accellaration was fantastic !
We had one that ran from Tooting to Croydon via Mitcham and Mitcham
Common , they used to get up a hell of a speed across the common !
BTW, I am intrigued by the traction engine in your photo ??
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::+1:

A workmate of mine, also called Ted, attended a Group meeting at the Boot & Flogger pub, in London.

He fell asleep on the train taking him back to the south Coast, where he lived.

He was awoken, in the morning, by the train cleaning staff, in the sidings, where the train parked at day’s end!

Not very good safety checks there!

:bed:

1 Like

At that time, there were several traction engine enthusiasts in and around the Kingston/Twickenham/Teddington area and I think that one was heading off to Strawberry Fair usually held at either at Strawberry Hill House or Twickenham Green.
image.jpg

House & Garden - Strawberry Hill House & Garden

@LongDriver , Oh, very interesting LD, I spose it had stopped at the pub
to fill up ??
Tanks for the reply !
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

1 Like

@Tedc , HA! HA! a mate of mine did the same and slept at Epsom Downs !?
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

1 Like

My dad used to tell a story about a train journey he took once, seated in one of those short compartments, 6 seats each side, with no corridor, therefore no access to toilets (if indeed there even were any on the train!).
Sitting across from him was a young chap with his little son, about 3 years old or so. As the journey went on, this little fellow started to wriggle, and then whispered in his dad’s ear. Evidently the little boy needed the toilet. The train was not due to stop for another half hour or so. His need became more urgent, until in desperation his red-faced father pulled down the little boy’s clothing, opened the window fully and perched the little boy on the edge of the window with his bare bottom outside. Unfortunately he didn’t take account of the train’s speed and resultant rush of air - as the little chap relieved himself, it all blew straight back in the window, all over his poor dad :joy:

3 Likes

@Bathsheba , Musta bin short off rolling stock then BS, that train was only
meant for short trip commuting in London !!
He was lucky the little sod werent sucked out completely !
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

I used to use those trains regularly on my commute to London. On the ‘fast’ trains, as we called them, the ones with very few stops, it was a good half hour from the last stop before London, back in those days. So not as short a trip as some!

1 Like

@Bathsheba , Yeah, your right, l remember l went from Sutton in Surrey
all the way to Littlehampton a couple of times !!
Even if the train stopped you’d never have time for a pee anyway !!
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

1 Like