Amazon Audible Books

I’ve listened to the first two chapters, as you rightly say graphic, very much so! Sven Hassel’s books were tempered with a grim sense of humour.
Anyway, I’m giving the audio book a thumbs up!

1 Like

Thanks Chill, I have Prime, I might just give it a whirl.

1 Like

I like listening to audio books when I am driving, they certainly pass the time when you are on the road for a few hours

I get them from the local library or download them from the web. Unfortunately (and very annoyingly) the MP3 player in my car forgets where it is if the track is too long so I chop them into 10 minute segments

I wouldn’t buy audible books, and there are probably very few non-fiction audibles, anyway. When I’ve marked a large amount of “notes” in science/psychology books, I actually read those note into a record, then prep’ the file on a computer. From then on, if there’s nothing else I need to hear, I listen to my own voice (on repeat) reading out the notes and those become very well grained in and I enjoy learning that way, from books. Sometimes, I play the MP3 of the read out notes as I’m lying down, getting ready to snooze!

I switched to audio books several years ago. Some are in cassette form lol. But I only keep the ones I love and won’t part with. I get a lot of 2nd hand ones from Ebay and from Charity Shops. I also have found a Site online that I download free from, I have several hundred in files on the PC that I’m ploughing through as I do my online jigsaws in the afternoons.

Prompted by another topic on the forum I felt moved to give this audible book a thumbs up :+1:
I tried reading it when it was first published but really couldn’t engage with the story despite it being a subject close to my heart.
It’s a real pleasure to listen to, seven hours in and about twenty seven more to go!

If you like Norman Mailer try “Armies of the Night”

I think Norman Mailer is a bit of an acquired taste, or to put it another way like breaking in a new pair of shoes
I’m not usually a reader of things political but the backdrop to your recommendation looks interesting so I might just give it a go :+1:

You’re possibly right about him being an acquired taste. I knew him from his first book, which was made into a film (if I remember right) “The Naked and the Dead” a story about WWII.

“An American Dream” is another worth reading. He is a very modern American author, well worth reading

I was taken with the sub title of “Armies of the Night” - History as a Novel / The Novel as History and of course it covers a major event during the turmoil of the Vietnam war.

1 Like

I’ve just finished listening to Bram Stoker’s Dracula on Audible, very much looking forward to this one!

I’ve just listened to chapter one on audible… absolutely hysterical :rofl:

{8C59DE5B-BA5B-4192-A377-38C722F6DF09}Img400

I remember Bill Bryson being funny having read some of his books years ago but I’d forgotten how funny…a real tonic!

1 Like

I loved this one too. Borrowed the audiobook from the library back when they were on cassettes. I’ve enjoyed Bill Bryson’s works.

1 Like

I have a big collection of audio books and a site I also download them from. At the moment it’s light reading and I’m wading through Simon Brett’s Feathering Mysteries.

When I was working, I was often required to drive long distances and I used to have a small stack of audio books on my Ipod (later phone) and used to go through them quite regularly.

These days, I’m not working and hardly driving and seemed to have given over to reading my kindle.

I’m listening to this on audible at the moment, absolutely hysterical!!
I’ve never been a great fan of David Mitchell but I’d highly recommend this volume.

A refreshing and witty slant on our history!

1 Like

I’m really getting stuck into this one!
Mike Carter is a journo who almost impulsively decided to escape from London and cycle around the coast at the age of forty five.

Mike-Carter-with-bicycle-001-1876323564

A very engaging, funny and inspiring listen.
He really is a bit of an English Bill Bryson.
I’m planning on getting a new mountain bike quite soon but I’ll not be venturing further than Sussex… for the time being :wink:

1 Like

This one’s been languishing in my audible library for some time now…
The-lost-continent-849145883

You simply can’t go wrong with a Bill Bryson book in my opinion. I read this in paperback some years ago but I’ll be cracking on with the audible version over the weekend :+1:

1 Like

I’ll be interested to hear how it goes. I love Bill Bryson audiobooks. My favorite was A Walk in the Woods. If you say it’s good, I might give this one a go. I just checked. It’s in my online library. I just borrowed it in case.

1 Like

Well, as an Englishman I found it both funny and quite adventurous as far as his experiences in some of the towns in the deep south went, vaguely reminded me of Deliverance. But I read the book some years back now so perhaps my memory is just a tad hazy :slightly_smiling_face:

A Walk In The Woods is superb… not that I’m going to get anywhere near the Appalachian Trail…alas!

1 Like

Absolutely hysterical, once again this is coming from someone on the other side of the pond :rofl: :wink:

1 Like