Am I drinking too much alcohol?

Some of the prescription drugs probably do more harm to the body than a good slug of Scotch, one day, there will be some papers on this.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s no doubt about that.Hereā€™s 100 proof proof.

It has had so much bad press though, and can stink the next morning.

1 Like

I think if you have to ask, you probably are.
Alcohol can be an addictive drug which is very dehydrating and horrible for arthritic and joint pain. I guess you have to pick your poisons

Thanks, Chelsea62, Is there a proven link between alcohol and joint
pain? If there is I will stop. I must go and google.

I have arthritis and sometimes the pain keeps me housebound. However, I do enjoy my Balvenie 14yr single malt and it makes no difference to my pain; in fact Iā€™m convinced it helps alleviate it occasionally.

Thatā€™s what happens when you take on too much fluid. :laughing:

Many thanks, the jury seems to be still out where Google is concerned. I think I will stick to one drink at bedtime.
I canā€™t afford maltā€¦ :cry:

That too. :rofl:

https://arthritis.ca/living-well/2018/understanding-arthritis-and-alcohol

Anything that has sugar in it is inflammatory. Inflammation leads to pain. Alcohol definitely has sugar in it.

There are all kinds of links with evidence from respected well known sources.

The sad thing is that many reach for a glass or two of alcohol when they are in pain. Unfortunately it only works temporarily while somewhat impaired but then it later causes more inflammation which can then turn into a snowball effect.

I think 1 litre of Scotch per week sounds like a lot Iris :hugs:

Have you thought about trying red wine instead? There have been many studies that show red wine (in particular Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) have beneficial anti-microbial properties against common bugs, and it also contains Resveratrol which has been linked to longevity :smiley: If youā€™re going to drink alcohol, it might as well be something thatā€™s good for you, right? :lol:

Just donā€™t drink too much!

2 Likes

Hey Azz , that means my two glasses of wine a day are good for me then , yaba daba doo

Thatā€™s good news for me

2 Likes

The Jury is out on whether alcohol is good or bad for joint pain. But there is a definitive link between joint pain and dehydration.

I hate red wine. It makes me feel yeugh. I like dry white wine. Most wines have sulphites which arenā€™t good for you. IMO everything in moderation is key to good health.

1 Like

Yep, lubrication in moderation.

I have about a half to one full champagne flute every day with my evening meal Susan, and sometimes a little more on the weekends when I feel like chilling to some music :lol:

If I go out, which isnā€™t much these days, I will only drink red wine and just enough to get a little bit drunk. Iā€™ve never been paralytic because if I drink too much I just get tired and sleepy, which seems like a good natural limiter, haha!

Make sure itā€™s a decent brand Annieā€¦ and something I have found is that I do not like screw-tops at all, I can definitely taste the difference.

Feeling a bit yuck could also be down to a Herxheimer effect, aka ā€˜die-offā€™:

A Jarischā€“Herxheimer reaction is a reaction to endotoxin-like products released by the death of harmful microorganisms within the body during antibiotic treatment. Efficacious antimicrobial therapy results in lysis (destruction) of bacterial cell membranes, and in the consequent release into the bloodstream of bacterial toxins, resulting in a systemic inflammatory response.

It should subside after a few weeks as your body works its way removing the toxins.

Calm down Spitty :043:

On a more serious note tho, for joint pain you might want to try:

• Salmon or a good quality cod liver oil capsule
  • Homemade bone broth
  • Fixing a ā€˜leaky gutā€™ (which is a common name for gut dysbiosis - which occurs through a build up of things like SIBO or pathogenetic microbe overgrowth)
2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have just received the report for my yearly health
check and it seems my kidneys are below par. I know I havenā€™t
been drinking enough water, Iā€™m seldom thirsty, plus the
dehydration effect of the whisky. So common sense tells me
to ditch the booze.
Itā€™s a pity - but - into each life, a little rain must fallā€¦ Hmm.

3 Likes

Youā€™re welcome !

Thatā€™s uncanny GhF, I also have been called back to my surgery for another blood test after my first test came back outside the normal limits for kidney functionā€¦
:open_mouth:
I drink just one or two glassed of red wine with my Sunday lunchā€¦Must be because its cheap Tesco plonk with screw capsā€¦
I think it could be due to the three tablets I take daily for my heart.
I am now taking drastic action and referring to the ā€˜Oddā€™s and Evenā€™ medication regime.
On the odd numbered days I do not take my ramiprilā€¦
And on the even numbered days I donā€™t take my clopidogrelā€¦
The bisoprolol remains the same at half the recommended dosage every dayā€¦
If this is my last postā€¦I was wrong!

Ramipril can affect kidney function. Iā€™m surprised youā€™re still on it. My mum was taken off this for kidney issues also they stopped her omeprazole same reason. it was the sodium potassium level that was the issue I think. They switched her to fruesomide

Just wondering whether your change is a self medication choice or the GP recommendation?

1 Like