Am I drinking too much alcohol?

I am a nonagenarian and of late I have been drinking more.
I usually drink a whisky and lemonade at about 11.30 am and another in mid-afternoon, yet another mid-evening and again late in the evening before I go to bed. Each time they are doubles so I’m drinking about 1 litre of Scotch per week. I live alone, I harm no one. I still eat well and am as alert as others my age. Should I care? Should anyone care?

4 Likes

No, and no.

1 Like

I agree. Whatever floats your boat and helps you through the day.

I’ll drink to that! Cheers…

Thank you! :smiley:

Probably is to much …Sorry xx

Your an adult,do what makes you happy,as you stated,your hurting no-one.
Have a drink on me :tumbler_glass:

it did my FIL no harm , just make sure you drink fluids in between to keep hydrated.

If you feel that you have to ask the question then my view is that you think that you are drinking too much. Only you can answer your question really.

I guess the question is……

too much for what?

Too much for your health?

yes probably.

But you’ve reached a good age and survived :rofl:

Too much for your pocket?

I don’t know, can you afford £25 plus a week and is there anything else you’d be better spending it on?

Too much for your mental health?

That’s a lot of drinking

It’s bound affect your thought process and mood, make you sleepy

Is for comfort because you’re in pain, can’t sleep or are sad or lonely?

Because yes, if you are using it to mask those things then it probably is too much and you could probably get better help elsewhere

Too much for your conscience?

If it’s just that you feel guilty, then don’t, you’ve earned your pleasures and a tipple :tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass::tumbler_glass:

So really I think you have to ask yourself why you’re drinking more?

If it’s purely for pleasure and a treat, then carry on and enjoy!

Cheers!

Thanks, everyone, it is certainly more than I used to drink. In
my young, to middle years I very seldom had a drink. Not
interested and had no time. In my later years, I had a couple
of drinks a week.

The cost is usually about £18 per litre, I look out for supermarket offers. Since Covid, I am very seldom out and no wish to. I read, play free computer games and watch very little tv. I’m fairly healthy except for arthritis, worse of late and the pain keeps me awake.

I’m sure I must drink more than is recommended by the NHS. my
general health is good. So on balance, I drink more but how much
harm can it do me in this late stage of my life?

It is true that abstaining from alcohol will increase your life expectancy by a few years but what is the point of living a few extra years in misery without a few drinks? Can’t see it myself.

I would say it really depends on how drunk you feel after a few drinks. The main risk being falls if you are living alone and have arthritic pain. Make sure you always have your mobile phone on you.

Drinking probably doesn’t help arthritic pain. Alcohol causes dehydration which will make your joints hurt more. Make sure you have a couple of glasses of water for every glass of Booze.

1 Like

Doesn’t sound healthy to me.All that lemonade.

5 Likes

Thanks, Annie, I do have arthritis, I’d forgotten that alcohol
hydrates. Dang!! I will drink more water. The whisky relaxes
me but I don’t feel drunk, I eat well and all is well with my world.

1 Like

Ha! Brilliant.

1 Like

Yes it sounds a lot and I know our body becomes used to the alcohol and often it can start a downward trend but hey ho , just look after yourself , enjoy it . As suggested drink water to hydrate .

I love a glass of red while I cook my delicious meals , then I have another during. I remind myself the French drink wine often . I do love a gin and tonic , must have ice and lemon and not too much tonic . Sometimes I’m embarrassed when the bin men empty my green recycling box into the lorry , the crashing of the bottles makes me think the neighbours must think I’m a right boozer !

Do I care , nope :grinning:

Enjoy

Thanks, Susan. That reminds me I must order some more
lemonade, I don’t like whisky with water.

My parents were both TT so I must take after my paternal
grandfather who was never without a bottle of scotch.

I wonder how I compare with other members…

Would it sound too much if a 20 year old said they drank that amount? And looked set to drink at that level for another 40 or 50 years.

At a certain age, having got through life, quality over quantity has to kick in … I’d say drink what you like, unless you are staggering around and in danger of hurting yourself or anyone else.
Enjoy.

It’s like those ads they have now for gambling awareness …
If the fun stops … stop.

Thanks, Morticia. I think if the weather was less dreary it might
help. Being stuck indoors is boring - even for old biddys. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like