All things Astronomical

Just stand on yer head you will be fine :cool:

If you can get the pic into ā€˜your albumsā€™ you should be able to post from there.

Thatā€™s the last time I shop in Bunnings. :lol:

http://[url=https://postimg.cc/image/9ujs9d7ht/]https://s8.postimg.cc/m96k9oz05/unnamed.png

OK. Think I might have cracked it. This is the picture I took a while ago. I think that the white star just to the left of Jupiter is the erā€¦actual Jupiter, just below Virgo.

Thatā€™s amazing! Silly question but have you actually tried it outside to see if they line up with the real thing?

I have. And annoyingly they donā€™t quite. Itā€™s all to do with global positioning. You can only select large cities for your ground base. And my nearest city of choice is 14 miles away. Which makes it almost but not quite spot on.

And then it occurred to me, early this morning. Why donā€™t I just drive into the designated city (Stirling, by the way) and recalibrate my iPad there? Then, hopefully, it will be 100% accurate!

Well I had a rare treat very early morning

I woke up to use the loo and going back to bed saw the cat sitting on the window cill so went to pet him. Looking out the window I was just in time to see the space station pass over right in front of me. Not only that, those of you that have seen in recently know its a tiny thing, rather like a bright bright star moving through the sky. Well this was so close and so big I thought I was seeing things

Not only that but Mars was glowing huge and red in the sky as well last night, as close as the moon

I count myself very fortunate to have caught such a show

That should work.

Has Arthur taken up stargazing from the window now he canā€™t go out? :wink:

Just over a week to go to the Luna eclipse.

This is quite an informative page on seeing the Loony eclipse in the UK on Friday!

[I]
Those in the UK will not be able to see the start of the lunar eclipse as the Moon will still be below the horizon at this time. However, the Moon will already be in the Earthā€™s umbra (the darkest part of the Earthā€™s shadow) and so will already start to look red. The table below shows the timings for the lunar eclipse as seen from London.

Most of these timings will apply for the rest of the UK but they might differ by a few minutes. However, moonrise times will vary depending on location. For example, the Moon will rise at 9:22pm in Edinburgh, 9:02pm in Cardiff and 9:27pm in Belfast. The Moon will also appear to be lower in the sky the further north you are.[/I]

Thanks Colin, Might choose to walk late on Friday so I can watch it rise

To quote Van Morrison

Well, itā€™s a marvelous night for a moondance :cool:

Thanks Colin.

Iā€™m not sure if I will see much as it might be too low for me here what with other buildings in the way. My best time for viewing the moon seems to be 11:30 onwards. Iā€™m getting great views of the moon at the moment, very clear, hardly any haze.

Come round to mine

I live in a field, up very high, no light pollution, perfect for star gazing :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s the best offer this week Missyā€¦ the only offer in fact.

I do envy you though. I moved to the country hoping to see dark skies but ended up worse than where I came from.

Very few street lights about here

Indeed I learned to drive in the country and the first time I went to the city and it got dark, I managed to drive through it without my lights on:mrgreen:

I wondered why I kept getting flashed, was only when I got back on the motorway I realised , the city was just so bright

:mrgreen:

Too bloominā€™ cloudy to see the Blue Moon.

Iā€™d been looking forward to that too. :frowning:

Anyone else seen it?

Morning Mupsā€¦:039:

Wall to wall Cloud here too Mupsyā€¦:frowning: