All things Astronomical

No Problem :slight_smile:

I would much prefer if people call me Colin on here rather than the DWebb
that was a silly random name I registered with not thinking I would be hanging around
doh! :cool:

Cheers Colin, i have bookmarked it as well.

Thank you Nicol. I have bookmarked your site as well.
Thanks

No problem Dave. :lol:

Thanks Colin, I have bookmarked your link :smiley:

:lol:
Plonker:-)

I have an app on my iPad called ‘SkyView’.
You just point the camera at any object in the sky and it will identify it. It shows the planets, constellations in adjustable detail. And also shows the position of the space station and the Hubble telescope.
Even in broad daylight, it will still show the stars and planets currant positions.
It also works on phones and Android devices.

I think I may have seen Skyview or something similar where you can attach your mobile with the app to a telescope so it can guide you to what you are looking at.

I would like to get an astronomical telescope but they seem to be expensive to buy. Really I would like to take photos as well but that makes it even more expensive.

I bought my daughter an astronomical reflecting telescope at her request, several Christmases ago. To my knowledge she’s never ever used it. We live in a perfect place for astronomy. Right on the edge of the hlghlands. I’m still waiting to see my first aurora borealis!

I also bought a reasonable telescope but have hardly used it. It is so big and bulky and tbh, the view you get is hardly worth the effort.

Why is it, If I look at Mars for instance with the naked eye, it appears to be approx 1mm diameter for the sake of argument. If I look through my binoculars, which are x20 times mag, it still looks 1mm diameter?

No I am not holding them back to front.

I’ve looked at Saturn through a 60x spotting scope and seen the rings perfectly. Even a couple of the moons!

Yeah, perhaps x20 just isn’t powerful enough, plus there’s the problem of keeping them still of course.

Keep an eye out in Aldi & Lidl! They have them going for ridiculous prices sometimes!

:023:

I can’t remember the magnification of my telescope, I haven’t used it for years but it was one of those where everything is upside down which took a bit of getting used to.

You have bought the Australian model :018:

I think mine is a Celestron 90mm refractor or something like that, not used it for ages but I used to be able to see the rings of Saturn nice, Jupiter and its belts but never the red spot, Venus and it’s phases which was nice

I knew it! Bloody cheap Tat. :lol:

I have seen some of the planets (struggling to remember now) One of my favourite sights though is the Pleiades.

I’d love to post a picture I’v just taken with my iPad using Skyview. It shows the inside of my living room facing the window. But it also shows Jupiter just below the horizon in real time. It’s frustrating where with some forums you can post pictures direct from your own files. And others like this one where you have to use picture hosts! I just can’t get Photobucket to co-operate anymore, like it used to.

Photobucket isn’t free anymore

use postimage, you don’t even need to sign up