All things Astronomical

A thread for all things Astronomical as the title says :cool:

Just an early mention of the upcoming lunar eclipse coming up on Friday the 27th of July, the Moon will actually rise eclipsed in the UK, this will be the longest lunar eclipse of the 21st Century so far with maximum reached at around 9:21pm. The Moon rising at around 9pm it should be quite a sight!

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I have added it to my calendar and just hope the skies will be clear enough to see it.

Thanks DW, I’ve saved it :smiley:

Thank’s DWebb, all being well (clear skies) I’ll find a good spot in the country to watch the moon rising…:cool:

Even better if I can get the modification to my camera finished on time…:smiley:

Good thread by the way…:wink:

That hadn’t crossed my mind. I have got too used to all this great weather.

Ta Dwebb hope i can see it.

Re: Mars

I got up at 03:15 this morning, looked South and there it was, as red and as clear as anything. I tried looking through binoculars but I was too tired to keep my hands still.

South is not good for me, bedroom faces North East and a walk through to the kitchen, which faces South West only reveals some tall trees…:frowning:

That’s annoying. I could see it just above the roof opposite, next to the wood burner flue. :slight_smile:

The South Sky is great for me, sweeping views from the East to the West which is handy for the ISS…

Exciting news…maybe…I have never seen a decent meteor shower in this Country but the Perseid meteor show happens on the night of the 11th and 12th of August, I am actually in Canada at that time so will try and catch it out there, details in the link below…

Wow! Yes, hopefully you should get a great uninterupted view. Like you, I have sat up waiting for them and have seen a few but nothing like ‘The sky lit up like fireworks’ reports.

Every year you get the hyped up stories about it being great and every year I see nothing :-p maybe it’s because I am in a City, I might be more remote on those dates in Canada so will see…

I shall look out but won’t hold my breath, never seen one yet

Mind I saw my first ever shooting star 30th June :slight_smile:

This is brilliant news, I travel to Guernsey on the tenth of August and the hotel faces South on the edge of a cliff. It’s quite remote with no light pollution. We go to the same hotel and stay in the same room every year. Last year I remember waking up in the early hours, and looking through the window revealed a magnificent clear sky with thousands of stars. I must have just stood and stared for almost an hour…:shock:

Did you make a wish :cool:

Now all you need is for the weather to cooperate! sounds like an ideal place to see them though if it is clear :slight_smile:

Nooooooooooo :frowning:

was so quick I wasn’t even sure I had seen it lol

I saw this too Longdogs. Quite bright and red. I was up at 2:30am and my lounge faces south so have a really good view of the southern sky.
I have to be honest and admit I didnt know it was Mars but suspected it but was unable to find a website to confirm what I was seeing.

If anybody can suggest an easy to decipher website of whats visible and whats about to be visible would be helpful to a total amateur but interested person like me.

This sky chart is not too bad…

https://astronomynow.com/uk-sky-chart/

just a case of putting in the date and times and it shows you what is up there

This is the South at 1am and looks like Saturn is up there as well…

This site’s not bad either, concentrates on the planets in the solar system and doesn’t confuse matters with the stars.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/uk/london

You can set it for your location.

Hi DWebb. Thank you for the link. I have quickly tried it out and have now bookmarked it for future use.