All the good things remaining in UK?

Well after that long period of covid lock down and inability to move about freely including abroad I have read many ills within the UK. However there must still be good things remaining ? - I would suggest the beautiful countryside ; thousands of quaint villages - some vacant and the joy of many gardens? so what else is good about 'the green and pleasant land"?

Dunno gumbud, people can’t afford the fuel to go out and see them

1 Like

The Royal Family , Better than any President,

3 Likes

Bobbies on bicycles, two by two,Westminster Abbey, the tower of Big Ben,the rosy-red cheeks of the little children.

4 Likes

Bobbies on bikes are slightly rarer than the Dodo.

4 Likes

village cricket, bobbies on bicycles, warm ale, open top e-types, daisy chains and laughs

1 Like

Dad’s Army, banter at football and rhyming slang.

1 Like

The people especially Yorkshire…friendly down to earth genuine folk for the most part anyway.

3 Likes

Hi

Common as muck around here.

Loads of passages for the Pollock’s to escape down, so bikes are the answer.

They radio ahead and have them cut off.

We are not alone in the fuel crisis its a global thing…I was reading that France pay more than us with very little government assistance…that goes for most of the rest of Europe too…its easy to think.its just us in this mess…it isn’t and to be fair we get more government assistance than most so that’s a good thing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi

Yorkshire pudding, others simply cannot make it.

4 Likes

Marmite.
English Oaks
Soft gently countryside
Cream teas
Moaning about the weather
British sense of humour
It’s History

I wouldn’t live anywhere else .

6 Likes

A serious surplus of rubber dingies.

7 Likes

Roaring log fire at ye olde country pub on a cold winters night. Except many are boarded up now, we can’t afford the tax put on a tankard of ale.

1 Like

I went to a pub on Thursdays for lunch
Medium white wine ÂŁ7.50

A good ole roast beef dinner with all the trimmings.
Our history/green and pleasant land/villages/country walks,i pretty much love everything about the UK,except of course governments who could`nt run a pee up in a brewery.
And on the whole i think we are very tollerant.

3 Likes

This is not correct. Today, unleaded was 1.78 euro (about ÂŁ1.50) al litre. That is about 20% cheaper than in the UK - and the 1.78 price was in a small village petrol station, not a supermarket pump where it is probably even cheaper.
Plus the French government capped the electricity price increase to 4% this year. So not sure where you are getting your info from.

But to add to the theme of the thread, here is my memories of what I liked about the UK (and suspect I still would if I was to go back):
hill walking in glorious Scotland / Wales / Shropshire / Lakes
possibly the widest range of international food anywhere
great beer
the national trust and the huge range of historic buildings (better organised, better maintained and easier to get access to than similar here in France)
afternoon tea - scones and tiny sandwiches

3 Likes

all the historic places that seem to be better kept than current ones? - not sure what that says? the canals and waterways as depicted in some of the TV series. Snowy winter times ; inconvenient but magical ; a few old friends and who seemed to have thrived despite? and the approx 10,000 villages remaining some vacant ; churches of course! more old than modern?

1 Like

Churches are being made into living accommodation now.