Airline chaos blamed on BREXIT?

Airline chiefs blame brexit for the chaos being experienced by those
people unwise enough to book holidays this year ??
Is this a fair assessment ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

Nothing to do with Brexit.

Passengers Experience Travel Chaos at European Airports Due to Staff Shortages & Long Queues - SchengenVisaInfo.com.

1 Like

I would have thought Covid is more responsible because many Airline staff & Airport workers looked for work they could do at home.
Airlines probably lost a lot of staff & it takes time to train new people.

Did they give any reasons why Brexit was responsible, or were they just hoping that people would be prepared to drive to Europe this year and give the Airlines chance to get their planes back in the air with new staff and more airport staff to deal with the luggage?

@wendeey , That’s wot l fort Wendee !
But they might blame brexit cos the workers they sacked can’t get back
into the country ??
Bit convoluted though ain’t it ?
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

@Twink55 , Me too Twink, l’m waiting to hear their reasons??
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

we booked our holiday last year so not a question of being unwise.

Hi

A couple of things.

We are no longer part of the EU so flights to EU Countries are going to take longer to check in.

It is the same at arrivals in the EU, we now have to join the Non EU entry booths.

Brexit does not affect travel to Non EU Countries in this respect.

Prior to Brexit a lot of jobs at airports were done by EU Workers.

Brexit was not responsible for them being laid off, that was Covid.

They have not come back however and that was due to Brexit.

Donkeyman it sure is. I’ve listened to this being discussed on the radio and haven’t heard anybody saying it’s due to that. And if they’re having the same problems in the EU, I definitely would say it wasn’t that. The Government paid out furlough money to avoid this exact situation, but the silly airlines chose to sack their staff instead. Think they were hoping to maybe re employ them, but with lower wages, but what’s happened the staff have found better paid jobs elsewhere. So it’s up to the airlines to dip into their pockets a bit deeper.

2 Likes

@swimfeeders , Your last statement is speculation Swimmy, they may have
got better jobs ??
I think the airlines are trying to divert attention from their inefficiency ?
They should have started recruiting sooner , money isn’t everything !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

Some companies, rather than furlough their staff during Covid, laid them off and then expected them to return afterwards. Most of them had moved on by then and got settled into new jobs, or started working from home. The lack of staff airline staff is worldwide, not just the UK.

2 Likes

@Judd , If you pay shyte, you get shyte !!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

Monkeys and peanuts
Or is it peanuts and monkeys :monkey:

@ruthio , l prefer my version ruthio !!
Dman! :+1::grin::+1:

Hi

It is not just a matter of recruiting staff.

If they are airside they needed to get security clearance, this takes time and is a Government issue.

There is also an acute lack of Border Force Staff.

Effects of pilotless technology on airline industry

The airline industry will save around 30 billion dollars by getting rid of the pilots. The problem with going pilotless is that most of the passengers are not comfortable with it. Only 17% of travelers feel confident flying pilotless. The technology will remove the pilot from all manual controls. This transition to pilotless planes will take place over a long period. It will start with the cargo planes and commercial planes will follow later. The price of tickets will drop significantly as operation costs drop.

Potential risks involved:

The pilotless planes will posses several security concerns. This will happen if a human will not be able to override the system in case of a glitch. The industry players might decide to have pilots on the ground. They would play a similar role to the military drone pilots. They will take over the plane when they sense trouble. Another concern is who will be in charge when the plane is on the air. Who takes charge in case of emergency landing? What if there is an unruly passenger? Will the computer communicate effectively with the air traffic control? These are some of the concerns that need to be addressed before we go pilotless.

What do pilots think?

They have concerns about security as well as safety. The pilots insist they have to intervene countless times when the automated system fails. Even though going pilotless will save the airlines money, they will need to make huge investments to make it a reality. Making pilotless planes safe will be the greatest problem. The greatest threat is the hacking problems. Hacking shows how vulnerable, the pilotless planes will become.

Well, if Brexit is to blame for the chaos, WTF are ALL the European, US, etc, airports suffering the same problems?

2 Likes

COVID, at least in USA.

Exactly my point. The airport problems are NOT related to Brexit.

3 Likes

@Cinderella , A very interesting subject Cinders!
Robotics and its influence on society ??
However l think it deserves a thread of its own don’t you??
Perhaps you would like to start one ??
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::+1:

I recall the discussion elsewhere comparing the value of train drivers compared to airline pilots (The RMT Rail Strike) and the comparison of their pay rates.
Automated trains were suggested, as they need no driver, yet some argued that you DO need a driver in a train and compared that argument to the fact that you need a pilot in an airliner.

I think this thread clarifies the situation that whereas an automated train is perfectly practical (as they already exist) it would be unacceptable for airliners to fly without a pilot (or two).