Airfares are getting very expensive

I was looking at air fares to Malaysia for a month around Christmas only to discover that one way fares are as much as the return air fare before the pandemic.

It was reported yesterday that air fares from Sydney to Melbourne for the Grand Final weekend are about $1600 (800 pounds) I know that is exceptional but none the less the pre pandemic cheap fares seem to be a thing of the past.

Hopefully it is because of current capacity constraints which mean that all the cheaper seats have gone. No chance of getting a cheap fare to the UK at the moment.

Is that your experience too?

They were slightly more expensive in the summer but not excessively so. I thought oil prices had fallen recently.

I am sure that oil prices have had some effect but I think it is capacity that is the problem partly because of staff shortages. I heard on the radio yesterday that Heathrow had also imposed capacity limits but I don’t know much about that.

1 Like

We booked our flights to Australia for November last February and glad that we did, they would now be around 40% more expensive after just checking…

1 Like

Crikey that is expensive, it won’t affect me as I’ve never been on a plane in my life, I certainly feel sorry for those who rely on air travel and having to pay those extortionate prices!:open_mouth:

It won’t affect me I don’t like flying and don’t care if I never step on a plane again. Some may remember my son is cabin crew and travelled the world and just can’t understand my fears but I hate it .

UK will be my holiday destination from now on

1 Like

I haven’t explored half of this little island of ours either, Susan, so plenty to keep me occupied as opposed to going abroad.

I flew a couple of times as a child, and loved it, but I wouldn’t do it now.

1 Like

my flight on thursday cost me arround 700 or just under, i looked last night and an economy seat my flight is up to 1800 which is crazy, other flights not direct are about 800, the worlds gone crazy, tho about five/six years ago i had to come home early and that cost 700 as did my covid flight home… there are queues of people wanting visas for India, but the Indian govt isnt playing…

@Crabby , Bloody great, the higher the fares go the better !
To many planes now spoiling the blue skies and covering everything in a film
of parafin !
People are too self indulgent nowadays ! :-1::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::-1:

2 Likes

Right so you have travelled in your life but now you dont want anyone else too ?

1 Like

@Muddy , Hah,did most of me travelling on me motor bike !!
Even went to Greece for our honeymoon on a motor bike and sidecar !!
Got some photos somewhere !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Did you go to South Africa on a motor bike ?

@Muddy , Nope, the SA government payed for that ! :smiley::smiley:

So you were even worse than the air industry, driving around spreading poisonous lead and particulates everywhere?

@Bruce , Volumes don’t compare Brucy !! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Bravo Donkeyman…People have just too much disposable income these days.
:+1:

You are joking Brucy aren’t you?
This was the state of the skies over the UK and Europe at midday today…

2 Likes

Don’t suppose you have a similar map showing road vehicle usage @OldGreyFox ? :wink:

At least there’s no Russia planes above us !

1 Like

No need with subs in the Serpentine.

2 Likes

I’m another one who couldn’t care less and do not intend to add to the robber barons wallets/bank accounts. I did all the flying I want to do, long ago, and have no plans to be flying anywhere.