Adele spends £1,000 during Chelsea book splurge so she could have an erudite Zoom background

She reportedly had a series of ‘explosive’ rows over the design of the set for her ill-fated Las Vegas residency.

But when it came to that most important backdrop of modern day life in the public eye – the bookcase backdrop that gets shown off during Zoom calls – Adele took matters into her own hands and marched into an esteemed London bookshop, announcing: ‘I want a library.’

My mole tells me: ‘She came into the Chelsea branch of Daunt Books with a friend.

‘All the staff were thrilled when she walked in, wearing sunglasses and looking like a superstar. She went about pulling books off the shelves without even looking at the spines or reading the blurbs, and piling them up by the till.

‘I said, “You’re buying a lot of books”, and she replied, “Yeah, I want a library.” The total bill was around £1,000.’

Common as muck … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I cannot see what the issue is here, its her money and she has plenty of it so she can spend it how she likes.
Not sure I do such a thing would but then again I waste money like most of us.

4 Likes

I always laugh at the “celebs” wearing sunglasses…nothing screams more of “I don’t want to be recognised, but do you actually know who I am??”

Also I hope she accidentally picked some really weird titles. :smiley:

2 Likes

She has an ugly potty mouth and as much as I love her singing voice and songs I would be reluctant to take my granddaughters to see her perform . So unnecessary

2 Likes

Yes its a shame she resorts to foul language …I wonder why she does that? I love her singing voice and her songs.

As far as books are concerned…its her money I suppose and spending it.will have pleased the book store owner thats for sure…I wonder if she will actually read any of them…doubt it .

2 Likes

I guess she sort of brings out the intellectual snob in book lover me 🥸

New money chav buying books she’ll never read as decoration and a prop😡

But that’s not right of course, musicians and entertainers are allowed to be working class, not be intellectuals, make lots of money and have no taste🤣

As long as they are talented and people want to listen to them, what does it matter?

And there’s a long tradition of buying books as props anyway. A lot of those libraries in stately homes were furnished with books bought in bulk from elsewhere and never read :rofl:

3 Likes

This reminds me of a zoom call I was on recently, and the background was a pristine white wall, with modern book shelves and lots of books & plants! I was both entranced and envious, and kept squinting to see if I could read the titles. Anyway, she moved and the background froze…half way between the “posh shelving” and the actual bedroom with a large pile of dirty laundry and a cat :joy:

4 Likes

I have to say it immediately went through my mind that Adele could just use digital backdrops for her zoom calls. That would have saved her (staff) a lot of dusting :lol:

3 Likes

She used to be quite ordinary with a great voice. I think she’s changed a lot since she lost all that weight. I am sure she had a gastric bypass to lose it so quickly but she denies it. My neighbour had one and lost 6 stones in as many months. She has put a lot of it back on now though.

Adele now thinks she is a supermodel but always looks miserable like most skinny people do.

If she is not interested in reading the books she could just as easily have sent someone to a charity shop and bought a few box loads of books and the money would have gone to a good cause. A lot of such shops do 50p to a £ for a book and I’ve had some cracking buys.

2 Likes

So funny when cats insist on joining in Zoom meetings :cat2:

We like playing background bookshelf spotting, especially when it’s politicians and celebs

You really tell if they’re a real reader or if it’s just for show and it’s good fun spotting what they’ve got

Lots of politicians show off books they want you to see as part of their image by turning them round so the cover is facing the camera, not the spine!

Do they think we’re really that easily impressed :rofl:

Grant Shapps did that this morning, with Michael Portillo’s Great British Railways prominently displayed above his left ear :ear::grinning:

Well, he is transport secretary :+1:

2 Likes

Apparently:

She went about pulling books off the shelves without even looking at the spines or reading the blurbs, and piling them up by the till.

so she probably just liked the shiny, coloured ones … :man_shrugging:

Maybe she uses audable to listen to books.

Maybe she’s too busy enjoying living life to spend time reading.

Heck, for all we know she might be dyslexic.

Perhaps we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover?:wink:

Now that’s what I call a good idea … :+1:

1 Like

Yep. Instead she’s helped keep a bookshop open and contributed towards staff wages and authors getting paid. Those books she bought may well end up being donated to charity, which will thrn yield the income being referred to for good causes.

1 Like

Let’s face it, she was never a class act!
Do love her songs though :notes:

1 Like

@Melgal70 , Yeah, economics is a funny thing ain’t it ??
BTW, There is a very good embossed wall paper available that can’t be
distinguished from the real thing, it is bought mainly by lawyers and such !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yep. Sorry for the minor detour but it worries me how lack of disposable income might lead to some people (especially youngsters) being laid off from eg working in shops.

As for embossed paper. Yep. There are loads of fake fillers out there. Am sure Ikea would have been happy to help her as they use them

Wouldn’t an erudite background be rather wasted on anyone who is likely to tune into Adele?

@Harbal , l think we are talking ‘erudite background’ as in scenery Harbie?
Not as in ‘educational background’ !!
Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::+1:

Yes, I know.