Adele says she'll study for an English Literature degree after Las Vegas shows

There’s a lot of negativity about Adele’s aspirations. Some positive but a fair bit of “why is she bothering” or “wrong course” or “why should we care”.
Here’s my take. First, education for the sake of education is fantastic. English literature is a great thing to study. This is to study human life itself - the joys, the pains, the loves, the tensions, the decisions. The human condition. If you do not love books then you are a limited person with only your own narrow experience and thoughts for company and insight.
Second, what an inspiration Adele would be to study for a degree at a relatively late age. I hope that she convinces others to take up studying and further education.
Third, I like her songs and her singing.

2 Likes

I’ve known at least 3 colleagues over the years who started their degrees in their early 30s (one woman took 7 years to complete it while she was bringing up 2 children single handedly and holding down a full time job) and then began their careers mid to late 30s.
My view is that for some people, their “time” is simply not the same as that of the modal class. People develop at different rates and different times.

As an aside, I tell my students that IMHO everyone could achieve a grade A, but for some people it might take decades, and that school/colleges only have 2 years to work with.

1 Like

I think it’s just her self important way of saying she’s going to read a book.

1 Like

Why not, she has the financial poke. :grinning: :boxing_glove:

This actor took the “adult” education route:

Watson is one of few globally renowned actors who chose to go to university after finding fame. “Learning keeps me motivated,” she told Access Hollywood, a trait that she shares with her Harry Potter character.

So, despite strong words of discouragement from her agents, Watson chose to pursue, and, eventually, acquire, a bachelor’s degree in English Literature. The subject is known for its versatility, exposing students to a breadth of knowledge across literary history, theory, and criticism. Above all, it develops students who are not only skilled critical and creative thinkers, but are empathetic and aware of their place in the world.

In 2009 she began attending Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, US. The Ivy League institution is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world, with an extremely competitive acceptance rate of only 7%. Its English Department fosters the study of British, American, and Anglophone literature across a wide variety of courses in poetry, drama, fiction, creative nonfiction, film, digital media, and theory.

Apart from Brown, Watson also attended the University of Oxford as part of her third year abroad. It’s a school that needs no introduction and is widely known as being among the top five universities in the world. There, she studied English at Worcester College.

She took time off as needed for filming and graduated from Brown in 2014.

Emma, a keen and qualified student (1) (and much younger than Adele), made the undertaking appear easy but it required commitment and persistence for 5 years. Now that’s what I call impressive … :astonished:

(1) In June 2006, she took GCSE school examinations in ten subjects, achieving eight A* and two A grades. In May 2007, she took AS levels in English, Geography, Art, and History of Art. The following year, she dropped History of Art to pursue the three A levels, receiving an A grade in each subject.

1 Like

Discipline +application + aptitude = success.

FWIW, I think that “ability” is pretty much mostly down to the first two aspects. Ie applying the 90+% perspiration in the first place.

1 Like

I agree … :+1:

Tickets for ‘Weekends with Adele’ are selling for a staggering £40,000 on resale websites after the highly anticipated Las Vegas residency was rescheduled for next month.

Fans of Adele are offering to pay the five figure price, which has been advertised as the going rate for a seat close to the stage.

They obviously aren’t worried about cost of living prices.

Reading all this about Adele, studying and singing in Las Vegas. It suddenly occurred to me, when does she find time to see her 10 year old son Angelo?

1 Like

The Adele hate here always has me bewildered. She’s just doing an online degree. Online degrees have no prestige and very little credibility. But if she wants to improve herself because she’s interested, I’m not seeing the reason for the negativity.

If she was buying herself a seat at Oxford or Harvard, I might be a bit more bothered. But an online degree seem innocuous enough.

1 Like

Where’s the hate? I don’t hate anyone.
We were asked our opinion and this is what we are giving. What’s wrong in that?
Besides, if you put yourself out in the public eye and make money out of good people who work hard to afford your concerts, then you should expect opinions and feedback.

1 Like

Agree. Can’t see any “hate” on this thread. Some don’t like her music, some do. Some object to her tendency to use expletives. Some wonder about whether she has honed the pre-requisite skills and qualifications usually required to enrol on a degree course.

Most, though, appear to wish her well and good luck with her laudable goal.

1 Like

Really? I know of a several people who have studied online degrees due to personal situations (eg bringing up a family in full time employment), and their degrees are considered just as credible as those from campus unis, and their knowledge/ability is just as strong.

Also, during the pandemic, a lot of courses tended to have been covered/taught online. Are these degrees to be considered less prestigious?

That does’t tell us much when you consider that every school leaver and his dog can get a place at university.

So, which one did you go to … :question:

1 Like

Not sure about all of them, but most of those Unis are in the Russell group, and not quite so easy to get into as you’re suggesting foxy.

1 Like

Unless you had the brain of Faraday or Einstein you wouldn’t go to university when I were a lad…They were a bit more picky then.

That might be true in the USA (I don’t know) but an Open University degree is well respected and I think it is in the UK too.

I know a couple of tradesmen that became engineers that way.

That’s not true .
Plenty of people of our generation the baby boomers were clever enough to go to University and did so aided by grants that they didn’t have to pay back .

That what you think because you have this massive grievance against education .