Abandoned Steel Mill

U.S Steel had a mill in Gadsden, AL. When I moved there it had been abandoned for years. I tried unsuccessfully several times to get in and photograph it. Each time I was told it’s just too dangerous. Then one day the caretaker called me and asked if I was still interested. I said hell yeah. Come to find out the reason for concern was there were underground tunnels leading from one facility to the next, and you could fall in if you weren’t careful. Anyway I did these shots in HDR.

This room if you look left you’ll see rail cars. Gives you scale. You could easily fly a helicopter through here and not even get close to the walls.

5 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

Wow!.

1 Like

Underground tunnels? That makes me wonder what was made there and why underground tunnels were needed. My work took me to some places that were kinda ‘secret’ and most had underground areas that from topside, nobody would guess to what was below or the extent of the ‘facilities’ One such installation has only recently been fully filled in and then sold off for a housing estate.

1 Like

Used mainly to transport finished steel products to different bldgs.

1 Like

But underground? The costs compared with over-ground would be phenomenal.

1 Like

Great shots Danny, those sorts of abandoned industrial buildings are a photographer’s paradise aren’t they? Love the post processing too. Excellent work!

1 Like

Over ground was taken up with regular train tracks that brought in the ore, and storage for steel rails of varying lengths.

1 Like

These are great! Love them!

1 Like

Sad times. I went to quite a few steel mills in my career. Cardiff, Swansea, Sheerness Steel.among a few. For me, it is depressing to have seen derelict sites that were thriving not that many years ago…

1 Like

Wonderful pictures but what a creepy place.

2 Likes

What amazing pics!

1 Like

Atmospheric.Imagine all the noise and activity that went on and now nothing but the building remains.Why haven’t they knocked it down?

1 Like

No clue. Last I heard they were trying to sale as is.

Gosh imagine the life that went on there when it was fully functioning…and now its just so…lost. I hope someone buys it and makes it into something, while still retaining its history if possible.

1 Like

Just one word,. ARMAGEDDON !!
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

1 Like

I thought it would make a good Walking Dead location. :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

3 Likes

We had one.They knocked it down and just left the land for years.In time grass,shrubs and and small trees grew on it.It was home to all sorts even Skylarks.I used to walk across it one the way to work in the morning,it was much nicer :slight_smile:
Concreted over now of course.

1 Like

Those are really brilliant pictures Danny.

The office chairs still hold their maroon hue! So bright against all the differing shades of brown.

Was it smelly and were there lots of critters lurking about?

1 Like