A favourite dahlia

We love the dahlias in the garden, they are all looking at their best at the moment, but this is one of our favourites and it looks like someone else thinks so too… :wink:

Taken on my cameraphone…

5 Likes

That’s so beautiful Barry!
What a deep red it is!

2 Likes

I really like that flower, Barry! The colour is fabulous and all the perfect little petals! Nice bee capture too!

2 Likes

Lovely to look at, Barry! Both the bee and the dahlia. Makes me smile.

2 Likes

Good photo Barry. A nice looking flower and no wonder the bee thought it worth a visit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, dahlias are just so diverse in their blooms, here’s another cracker…

6 Likes

Barry, do these have special names? I mean, is there a way of telling what they might look like before they bloom, or is it a surprise?

1 Like

Rosemary keeps a mental record of which grows where Pixie, but I don’t think she knows the variety names as most of the plants were given or inherited from different places.

2 Likes

@Barry what a beautiful colour Barry , I grew some from seed this year not knowing what colour they were and they have turned out to be a none descript orange.

2 Likes

Nice flower.

Ok now I know why we were asked what computer device we used.
I wish I never answered that.

1 Like

You are very good at the flowers!

1 Like

Ours grow from tubers Meg, Rosemary used to take them up every autumn and store them frost free in the garage before replanting the following spring, but now she just cuts them down to the ground when they’ve finished flowering and they just reappear the following year. :blush:

1 Like

Those are gorgeous, Barry.

1 Like

That’s what I do Barry, leave them in the ground. One of mine

3 Likes

@Barry That’s a colourful one. :slight_smile:

@Vlad Another good and healthy looking flower

1 Like

I do like Dahlias, my snails enjoy them too when they start to show in the ground

2 Likes

It’s a fact Vlad, those little critters really need deterring in the spring…

1 Like

I have tried nearly everything Barry I am averse to using slug pellets, any tips?

1 Like

We have hedgehogs visit but the slugs still do damage,

1 Like

A layer of grit around each plant ? dad used to grow them yrs ago and would put the ashes from the fire on them, throughout the winter , that was successful.

1 Like