A favourite dahlia

Any idea where I can buy a herd of hedgehogs? :smiley:

3 Likes

Sadly they are in decline.

1 Like

I used to have a border with dahlias just outside my back door. I had them for years, having grown them from seed. I didn’t do anything to protect them from the frost, but they came back every year… until…Lucy came into my life. She was a 4 month old rescue dog and she dug up and ate all the tubers. In the years that followed I did regret the loss of the dahlias, but never for a second did I regret giving lovely Lucy a home. Lucy died about 15 years ago, aged only 9.

1 Like

Those piccies could easily be paintings. Beautiful!!

1 Like

Great photos Barry (and Vlad!) :023:

1 Like

@Barry and @Vlad Lovely dahlias from you both! :+1:

My Dad used to grow them years ago and they were always full of earwigs (shudders) … do dahlias still attract earwigs these days? I haven’t seen one for years!

1 Like

I haven’t seen an earwig on my dahlias for years, maybe it’s because the prefer they celery :grin:

1 Like

No Mags not here, like you I’ve not seen one for years!

1 Like

Those are stunning photos Barry and Vlad .
I hope you don’t mind me posting some of my dahlia photos. At least I think they’re dahlias.

3 Likes

@Bratti stunning blooms!

2 Likes

Thank you @Mags. :heart:

1 Like

I don’t want to boast or anything but we have tree dahlias.We do see the flowers ,fleetingly,before the possums eat them.

1 Like

I shouldn’t laugh but :rofl:
Cheeky buggers aren’t they. :woozy_face:
I didn’t know possums ate flowers.

1 Like

What gorgeous blooms Bratti, that’s what I love about dahlias, their infinite variety. :blush:

1 Like

Diatomaceous Earth works well. It’s a natural earth that slices them open while they try to climb the flowers and doesn’t hurt the plant whatsoever. Just sprinkle some at the base of each the plant ( preferably in the spring )

Should have double quoted.
Thank you Barry and thank you for being ok with me piggy backing off your thread. :heart:

1 Like

Another one of mine, almost dinner plate size whose name I can’t remember, left in the ground to over winter

3 Likes

Another cracking bloom there Vlad :+1:

Thanks Barry, tge buggers require staking because they grow tall and the flower heads are very heavy

Get some one else to carry them.