A Divided Britain

@d00d , Yeah. well, you would say that wouldntn you ??
:grin::grin:

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I thought that was an interesting article and I agreed with most of what had been written - it is always interesting to hear the opinions of my country from people who live abroad and have a more objective view than us.

I don’t think the King will be able to solve our problems and heal the nation any more than the Queen could - I’m not sure he’ll be as adept at being “soother-in-chief” as The Queen was either. I think he’ll try to “speak to the nation” but will have a different style - we’ll have to wait and see how it goes.

1 Like

That would be a fair comment if it was only Aussies observing that but it isn’t.

It says a lot that you would think that other countries WANT Britain to be a broken society. They don’t, it is just a sad fact of life more clearly seen from outside.

Why anyone would think a king who has lived a completely sheltered and protected life could possibly understand much less fix the woes of this country is incomprehensible.
He is a man not a supernatural being ,moreover a man who is probably unfamiliar with the word mortgage or budget who have never known want or hardship of any kind .

4 Likes

It is rumoured that Huw Edwards is looking elsewhere for employment. May I humbly suggest. that after his appearance on the BBC, he would make an excellent undertaker! :anguished:

3 Likes

erhm que que ?? - am I correct in assuming that this thread is NOT about the United Kingdom but just Britain? - there is a difference which many british seem to get confused about as well as ozzies and others!! but some clarity would be useful to continue an interesting and complex topic?

I am not sure that is a very useful observation the only difference between the two is Northern Ireland and it could be argued that was already a broken society even before Thatcher.

Huge boots to fill for King Charles III.
The Queen was one of a kind with an unprecedented charisma throughout the world.
She grew up and matured while being a Queen.
No one could ever replace her.

This being said.
Charles was her son and raised by her.
He was at the best school for life: Elisabeth II ’ s school.
I have no doubt that he shares all his mother values and will try to honor her memory as best as he can, so will Prince William.

The British Royalty had this unique calm power of unification and togetherness of the United Kingdom citizens, let’s hope that King Charles III will be able to continue in that same spirit, but it is true that it is now a very tough task given all the social unrest and divisiveness greatly aggravated since Brexit.

Mei the country has always been divided and don’t know how you can blame Brexit. Before Brexit it was the Brexiteers who were disgruntled, now it’s the Remainers who are disgruntled that’s the only change regarding Brexit. So if you’re a Remainer you’re blaming Brexit because they’re now aggrieved in the same way as Brexiteers were before the vote.

Scotland had a referendum in 2014 to leave the UK and because they didn’t win that referendum they still kept on about leaving the UK and that was even before the Brexit referendum and even if they do have another referendum which ever side wins you’ll still have divisions within Scotland because the losing side won’t be happy.

We’ve always had left against right and there are even divisions inside the left and divisions inside the right.

We’ve also always had divisions between the royalists and the anti-royalists.

So really can’t understand how you can blame Brexit.

2 Likes

I agree wendeey

Britain has always been divided by class, the have’s and the have not’s. The rich and the poor, the working classes and the academics
Us and them.
The media tried to make brexit a contest between the young and old, but it was divided by class (I know there are exceptions to this rule and people will shout me down with cries of “Well I know young people who were remainers etc”) but in reality the remainers were the people who had most to lose (it’s the capitalist way, look out for yourself) But when you’ve got nothing, you’ve got nothing to lose.

2 Likes

sorry that should have read “england” there that’s better!

I did not blame Brexit nor did I said that Brexit was the reason creating the divisions I just said that Brexit aggravated the crisis and animosity between both sides surely it was not a factor of reunification between the Brits.

3 Likes

//www.theguardian.com/australia-news/commentisfree/2022/sep/10/why-are-we-mourning-the-queen-wh

The monarch I grew up with, never met her, speech was the must watch of our Christmas Day, we and extended family, about 30 of us.

One occasion when we all got together and had a really good time, a few times staying up all night into Boxing Day.

That should have been AN effect .

So once a year at Christmas when everyone is full of cheer everyone gathers round to listed to the words of our wise sovereign .
A pleasant tradition that has nothing to do with reality .

1 Like

Except the freedom to live work and travel in practically all of Europe .

3 Likes

Britain and especially England is not divided - it is shattered. It can NEVER be pulled together, indeed there is a restructuring taking place in England that will prove to be cataclysmic. Look at the USA and what is emerging there, soon to happen here.

2 Likes

Disagree with this opinion," Now it’s up to Charles to unite the kingdom”.
It is up to us all to reconnect, as mature individuals.

2 Likes

I suspect that the majority now have so little in common do not want to combine with others in some form of glorious kumbaya. I know I certainly don’t.

1 Like

Happy memories Muddy, our Father used to play the piano and we invited elderly people from almshouse to join us and neighbours for a singalong.

1 Like