A Divided Britain

A new king presiding over a very divided Britain as a winter of discontent looms.

Will the new King be able to heal the nation? What do you think?

2 Likes

How could Charles III unite the Kingdom? Does anybody know?

While the Queen was alive, and was Britain’s Queen, …NOPE…giving this list was recently made against the rules, so I can’t add it to this post.

I’ve just…never seen what possible use the Royals have been in the political and social landscapes of Britain, in the past 40-50 years. In the article, the Queen was referred to as the UK’s “…soother-in-chief”. Who/what did she soothe? What did she do for us, down here, in the street/s.

= What did they suggest that has helped the ordinary people of Britain?
= What benefit to us did they insist on?
= What changes did the Queen bring about, for which we should be grateful?
= What use is the Royal Family to real people, down in the street, at all?

The question stands, however: “How could Charles III unite (or reunite) the Kingdom?”

6 Likes

I believe it’s impossible for Charles to represent the country or unite it’s people .
Charles having been brought up cocooned in opulence and privilege …never having to pay a mortgage ,beg to see a nhs doctor, find a nhs dentist , queue for anything in his entire life.
Then as seen on TV unable to cope with a rogue ink/pen tray or indeed squeeze his own toothpaste .
How on earth can he expected to unite the country.:joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

No, I don’t think he can unite us or should bother to try

At best the monarch is only a figurehead

A lot of the respect and affection for the queen was partly because she’d been around and part of our lives for so long, a bit of stability and her dying the end of an era

But Charles and his wealthy posh boy out of touch ideas isn’t going to have that. The best he could do would be to keep his mouth shut, but I don’t think he’s capable of that

It would take a lot more than a new king like Charles to solve the divisions here

7 Likes

The late Queen was the glue that held us together, all that King Charles can do is to continue in the same vein.

The world needs more love and the time is now. Individually, people can change, know that you hold all the answers.

“Whether humanity will consciously follow the law of love, I do not know. But that need not to disturb me. The law will work just as the law of gravitation works whether we accept it or not”. Mahatma Gandhi

1 Like

The queen had no bearing on my life, and I doubt the king will have any either. Plus the royals can’t get involved in politics, so its not like they can influence any political situations or decisions. Look at Boris Johnson outrightly lying to the queen - what happened? Nothing.

5 Likes

Politicians have legitimate power to authorize change.
Changing attitude is an independent choice.

“The Queen died at a time when Britain has never seemed so divided. Now it’s up to Charles to unite the kingdom”, says ABC.

Brexit divided the country but inflation and/or energy prices doesn’t. We are not really a country of haves and have nots. We, the vast majority, are somewhere in between. We all have different financial situations, different needs, different ability to manage our finances. And who is on the throne, makes no difference.

5 Likes

I agree d00d. Royalty is a bit like religion, if people can’t see a need for it they will gradually drift away. The BBC will do their best to keep you interested.

4 Likes

Hi

I am not convinced that he should even bother trying.

I don’t think it accurate to say that the Country is divided, we are not fighting and the vast majority seem to be seriously not bothered about Charles at all.

I was in the restaurant at Percy Throwers Garden Centre yesterday, which is where the ladies who lunch like to congregate.

As usual, years of my life took over ,and I was people watching and earwigging, as is my habit.

It is the place in Shrewsbury for daughters of a certain age to take Mother for lunch on a Saturday.

The general consensus was the same, the end of an Era, best thing Charles can do is keep his head down and leave it all to William as he is much more likeable.

Hi

OGF, I think what the BBC are doing is turning us all off.

3 Likes

Yes I agree Swim. Hugh Edwards makes me lose the will to live…
:flushed:

People say he should be knighted :wink:

And where do these six fans live Pixie?

2 Likes

To be fair Britain from afar has looked like a broken (if not failed) state since Thatcher tore it apart, it has never seemed to recover from that and things like Brexit add to that impression.

3 Likes

@d00d , l take issue with your statement that " Brexit divided the nation"
dOOdy ?
It did not, the nation was allready divided! Hence the camppaign to get us
out, what divided us was the establishment attempt to to overturn the
democratic decision to leave the EU !! :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

4 Likes

There are so many divisions that won’t ever be fixed and that is probably ok. But are there not divisions that reflect underlying problems in the UK?
I’d place the increasingly removed top earners being separate from everyone else as a major division. This is the wealthy few who are terribly well connected, who can put their children through the best education at school and university, whose children then get the qualifications to get the best jobs - but most importantly the parents connections ensure they get the very best careers. And these children become the top earners who are terribly well connected and can put their own children through the best education, etc.
Another major divide is the central government power & decision making and everywhere else in Britain. The UK is far more centralised than most European countries whose regions have significant budgets and authority. This creates or makes worse the north / south divide, the England / Scotland divide, etc.
My last, for today, suggested divide is the progressive view versus the traditional view. I think this covers how people see sexuality, race & non-British relations, the nature of work, our view of history, what sort of nation we want the UK to be, etc.
There are other divides. I’m struggling to see how Charles is going to have an impact any of these.

I don t think the queen had no effect on the lives of the average person .

Nah. The Brexit vote divided the nation. It divided families like nothing before. Once pumped up by politicos and the press, with a deadline, yeah or nay, I never saw anything like it: bent bananas, protect our borders, extra £350m a week to the NHS. That’s what divided us; what happen over the next 4 years was boredom, regret and disappointment.

3 Likes

Yeah, well, the aussies would say that.