A close encouter of the wildlife kind

Went looking for a couple of Orchids the other day, but they had gone over probably because of he weather.

So i dropped down to the lake for a looksee. I found a spot on the edge that was clear of reeds and scanned the distant birds.

The Common terns had long gone, and there was a lack of Dragonflies and Butterflys.

Eventually a female Mute swan joined me on the clear area and started preening, later joined by a her 5 cygnets and the male, and for the next hour sat within touching distance all tending the waterproofing of their feathers.

I love the shapes they make when preening here is the Cob.

The youngsters spent a lot of time playing.

Next i was joined by 5 Juvenile Coots.

And soon a creche of Mallard ducklings added to the small group, their trust was heartwarming.

Small copper.

1 Like

Lovely photographs Nom :slight_smile:

Those a fabulous photos, Nom, I really admire your skill and your patience. Thank you for sharing them.

An extremely lovely way to spend a few hours Nom and to nab some brilliant photographs into the bargain as well :slight_smile:

Awesome pictures Nom ( apologies to all who hate he word awesome -sometimes it’s the right word )
I especially like the first one it’s like a modern art painting in many ways .

In a world of twenty four hour news, smartphones and wall to wall music, it’s nice to seek out the more important things in life; Solitude and the appreciation of nature…
Thanks Nom…:023:

Beautiful birds and butterfly, lovely photos.

Great photos Nom.

Hi

Stunning as usual Nom, you have a gift.

Beautiful photo’s Nom. Specially the first one. Swans can get into some weird positions while preening.

Stunning stuff!

Excellent as always.

:slight_smile:

Thanks all, appreciate the comments.

I have started to do a bit of seawtching of late, as its the season for birds passing through, i have dipped on a couple of Minke whale, and Whitesided and Bottlenose dolphins but plenty time until October for a sighting.

The freshwater pond has nearly dried up but has left some muddy margins for waders etc. This fox visits often in the hope of a meal.

i found this sealpup sunbathing on a busy beach, however it was eventually disturbed by joe public who have no basic common sense.

https://s19.postimg.cc/4f5dqg829/mkkj.jpg

Just alongside the returning waders were feasting on the tide wrack, they have good camouflage. 3 species, Turnstone, Dunlin,and Sanderling.

This 7 spot ladybird Europes commonest, came in off the sea and settled on my arm where it decided i was quite tasty and drew blood. (

Great photographs Nom :slight_smile: I wonder just how long you have to sit there in order to capture your gems :slight_smile:

Love the seal pup. :slight_smile:

Those waders have the most amazing camouflage feathers ,great pics and loving Foxy too ,you must have the patience of a saint to manage such photos.

thanks all, yes patience is important as wildlife turns up when it wants to as in the case of the fox and the seal, i knew in advance where the birds would be, but had to settle for a overhead shot to avoid disturbing the seal.

But as i like many aspects of natural history its rare there is not something to enjoy, while im waiting.

You are a very talented photographer.:slight_smile:

Excellent photos Nom, you always appear to be in the right spot at the right time to capture your amazing photos… :slight_smile: