A close encouter of the wildlife kind

I love all your photos but I especially love the seal. Adorable

I ran into a group of computer geeks the other day.

Close encounters of the nerd kind.

Ta folks, my bridge camera needs repairing so im using very old kit to keep going, but with a bit of luck i will get something new next year.

Great photos Nom. Whenever I try to photograph adult swans, I can never get the feather detail. They tend to just ā€˜white outā€™.

I agree also black and white is hard, i usually underexpose a bit and sometimes it works.i like to see detail in plumage if possible, its the kind of views i get through a scope.

I think Iā€™ll have to come away from the ā€˜autoā€™ setting. :slight_smile:

I dont class myself as a photographer Mart, as i dont know all the bells and buttons that a photographer knows, i have learned through trial and error what works, but i get my fair share of what does not.

I a not afraid of Auto and i often use it as a guide to see what settings it uses, then try to emulate them, in AF mode, and i use the histogram to check the exposure. But its my way and others will differ, my best aid is fieldcraft learned from decades of watching wildlife, allows me to get closer to my subjects.

The seal was taken with a Macro lens, because i took the wrong lens on the day. :):slight_smile:

I like the Ladybird in the hairy jungle!

Took that with my new phone,playing with it at the moment it has possibilities as a carry around back up.

Very clear photo Nom, must be a good 'un!

I have mentioned this before, I had a really weird experience with a pheasant some years ago when we lived at our previous property. It was next to a meadow used as a pheasant shoot. I was walking in the meadow one day when a pheasant came running up to me, which in itself was odd as they normally scatter to the four winds. However, it started chatting to me in pheasant speak, it accompanied me on my walk all the way home. I went in doors only to discover it was looking through the lounge French windows no doubt in the hope of seeing me again. I would have thought I was imagining it if my husband hadnā€™t been their to witness this strange occurrence. I went outside again with my camera and photographed the pheasant, which I named Lenfestey.

A very pleasant pheasant. :slight_smile:

Nom, All your photographs are absolutely exquisiteā€¦as usual.

Seeing the pic of the fox watching the birds, reminded me of how the foxes round here sit and watch my hens!

Regarding your Pheasant, they are kept in pens and fed by keepers before release for the shooting season, so it may well be it became
used to humans. Its one of the things i love about wildlife getting close encounters with trusting wildlife is very satisfying.

Not in that meadow they werenā€™t, they were all over the place. Besides which, how many pheasant try to engage a human in conversation?

A coastal trip yesterday, on a day of promise. A steady Northerly breeze kept things cool,the wetland had filled up with the recent rain so more wildfowl around, but the surrounding bushes held no passerines (perching birds) though a redstart had been reported yesterday.

Dropped down too the shoreline, with the sea looking good for movement, it was much later when things began to appear. The best of which was a Feas petrel[/B] a mega in birding terms, also [B]Long Tail [/B]and [B]Pomeranian Skuas.

Only 3 species of Butterfly noted. Large White, Peacock,and Small Skipper.

Still some Flowers around mainly Ragwort, Sea Campion, and Clovers.

Things start to warm up with the holidaymakers and schoolkids going back in September, best birds yesterday were 3 Whimbrel.

Small Skipper.

Redstart.

Beautiful colouring!

Thatā€™s a beauty, Nomā€¦

Really nice.

I had to Google Whimbrel! Iā€™ve never heard of that name before!