'100 invited' to Downing Street garden lockdown drinks

I’m sorry to hear about the passing of your husband during that awful time of restrictions and I feel your pain - my brother-in-law died from COVID complications in the March of 2020 - he and my sister were coming up to their 50th wedding aniversary, but, as he lay dying, my sister and his children were unable to see him, and, after he died, no funeral “gatherings” were permitted - he was cremated behind locked doors - my sister was, as you may well have been, distraught.

No matter how unelectable are Labour Keir Starmer doesn’t seem such a bad man .
He doesn’t blatantly insult the intelligence of the electorate .

1 Like

So sorry Ripple .
My ex husband died too alone with no family allowed our children were devastated

1 Like

Well done Arty, we need a bit of “Same Old” same old, in a time of great uncertainty.

Hi

The Red Wall is rapidly returning, too many broken promises from Boris.

Boris hiding in the back of the car yesterday did him no favours.

Locally it will not be a Labour comeback everywhere, it will be Lib Dem and Labour.

In the Rural Areas farming incomes have hit a 10 year low and manufacturing, which is mostly vehicle related, has been severely hit.

2 Likes

If his deceit hadn’t been uncovered, he would have carried on, some conscience he has, plus intelligence, did he really think he would continue to get away with his deceit, it finally caught up with him, he has lost all credibility and respect from the general public,…he was such a sorry looking sight in the house, he didn’t have a leg to stand on…makes you wonder what else he has lied about, absolute disgrace…some prime minister, a person who leads the country… you do the dirty deed, expect to get the rollicking that you deserve…rant over.

1 Like

Apparently after Johnson gave his shame faced little boy performance he shocked some MPs by going around the tearoom telling MPs it was not his fault he had done nothing wrong and had ‘‘Taken one for the team’’ . So much for his apology .

The fact that the ‘party’ any party was held at all shows the kind of atmosphere prevailing in number 10 where staff either don’t advise their boss as to what is or isn’t acceptable behaviour or they have so little respect for him they do what they like anyway.

1 Like

Thanks for spotting that … :+1:

I’ve found the report:

Mr Johnson is said to have hit the Commons tearooms after his apology on Wednesday to woo Tory MPs - where some were surprised by his lack of contrition.

The PM told colleagues that “we have taken a lot of hits in politics and this is one of them”, according to The Times.

"He said that sometimes in life you get the credit for things you don’t deserve, while sometimes you get the blame for something you don’t deserve, too,” a Tory MP told the FT.

"He goes through his life thinking he doesn’t deserve the blame.”

Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis dismissed reports the PM was not contrite as “tittle tattle”.

He told Today: “I haven’t heard that at all. I wasn’t in the tearoom yesterday so commenting on tittle tattle that may have come out the tea room, I can’t do that.”

But he insisted that PM’s apology was “very, very sincere”.

A YouGov poll, which was carried out before Mr Johnson’s apology, put Labour at a 10-point lead ahead of the Tories for the first time in nearly a decade.

Appalling … :astonished:

Senior civil servant Sue Gray is investigating whether Covid rules were broken at a series of lockdown get-togethers of No 10 staff and residents.

But what questions face her, and the prime minister?

Who was invited to the garden drinks?

An email from Mr Johnson’s principal private secretary, Martin Reynolds, inviting people to “make the most of the lovely weather”, was sent to a distribution list of around 100 people. But the full list of recipients has not been published. The names will show who knew about the party taking place.

Could an invitation go out without with PM’s permission?

Downing Street has said Mr Johnson did not see the email inviting staff to “socially distanced drinks” on 20 May 2020. But many Westminster-watchers are sceptical that an email from the principal private secretary - or PPS - could have gone out without Mr Johnson knowing about it.

Who else attended the party?

The next step is to find out who chose to go to the gathering, despite the lockdown that was in force at the time in England. The BBC has been told from sources at the garden drinks that around 30 people were present, alongside the PM and his wife. Who went to the party will be key for the same reason as the invite list, showing who knew about the event.

But more importantly, the attendee list will show who decided to break the rules - and perhaps the law - individually.

How many parties took place in Downing Street?

The party on 20 May 2020 is far from the only allegation of a party in Westminster during the pandemic. At least 10 alleged gatherings, in Downing Street or government departments, have come to light so far.

For a full list of what we know, click here.

Two of these are alleged to have taken place during the first lockdown in 2020.

Who’s got “The List” … :question:

The cancellation comes as pressure grows on the Prime Minister following an apology at PMQs on Wednesday for attending a party at No10 during the Covid lockdown in 2020.

Mr Johnson would have faced questions from the media about his attendance at the Downing Street “bring your own booze” event on the planned visit to Lancashire.

Which family member would that be, I wonder … :thinking:

Brilliant Swim…
:+1:

Once the media have decided you should go, you’re as good as gone…

1 Like

Apart from the Parties, we really must clamp down on the “Leakers”!

Whatever they gain from leaking all this stuff to the media, and others, they will surely want to gain also if we are ever involved in any kind of action against another Country, for example.

They are, often, jealous people who seek revenge, or even fame, for what they know.

Think what they’ll do in a war?

3 Likes

“ Taken One For The Team”…I can’t believe he said that…he’s dug more than a hole, he’s trying to tunnel his way out of the country, this will never be forgotten…:rage::rage:

1 Like

Anyone who agrees that he couldn’t organise a booze up in a Brewery will know that he didn’t organise this one!

Absolutely Ted, “They smile in your face”…

Indeed … :+1:

BJ may be nominated as the most “despicable” PM ever … I await the full list of his crimes and misdemeanours with interest … :icon_eek:

1 Like

Boris is just the mouth piece, what about the attendees at any of these events, weren’t they concerned about contracting the virus? and subsequently passing it on to family members etc, also, there is a significant portion of this population who have carried on as “Normal” ignoring any pseudo advice, I guess they ain’t too bothered about the shenanigans that have been going on behind the scenes.Imo.

2 Likes

Yes, Maybe there should be a “I Hate Boris” Emoji, when they are posting, then they wouldn’t have to keep saying the “same old same old”!

:bed:

I don’t “ HATE” Boris…we’re voicing our opinions…

1 Like