'100 invited' to Downing Street garden lockdown drinks

No, I never have been. It’s not a dirty secret you’ve discovered :rofl:

But I think I’ve got good reasons to be miffed and peeved with him and I’m not especially so more than a lot of other people :rage: There’s plenty of his ex supporters more angry than me

And because I don’t like him doesn’t make what he did any less wrong either, really

Or mean that my opinion on what he’s done is wrong

And I did have to make huge sacrifices to keep to the rules myself. It was very hard.

So I’m at least I’m not a pot! :teapot:

2 Likes

Never needed rules in a crisis, just common sense, what is all the fuss about, apart from the Hypocrisy?

2 Likes

Dominic Cummings has accused Boris Johnson of lying after No 10 denied the prime minister was warned against allowing a “bring your own booze” party during the first lockdown.

Johnson admitted to parliament last week that he attended drinks in the Downing Street garden on 20 May 2020 but claimed he had not realised it was a social gathering.

The event was organised by Johnson’s principal private secretary (PPS), Martin Reynolds, who told people to “bring your own booze” – but No 10 denies that the prime minister saw the emailed invitation to about 100 staff.

It has also denied allegations that two senior staffers warned Johnson not to go ahead with the drinks event, saying this was “not true”.

But Cummings, a former senior aide to the prime minister, wrote a new blog post on Monday challenging that account. He said he personally told Reynolds that the invitation broke the rules and claimed Reynolds replied: “So long as it’s socially distanced I think it’s OK, I’ll check with the PM if he’s happy for it to go ahead.”

Cummings said in his blogpost: “Not only me but other eyewitnesses who discussed this at the time would swear under oath this is what happened.”

I can’t believe that Cummings is telling the truth about BJ telling a lie … :icon_rolleyes:

:037:

Just to put my cards on the table, I’m not a so-called Boris supporter if any of them comments have been aimed at me. I’m just against hypocrisy and that’s why I keep mentioning the media too.

I’m also against witch hunts.

I think Boris has been badly treated throughout the pandemic and am grateful to him for the way he’s seen us through it. I feel for all the world leaders who have had to see their countries through the pandemic and don’t envy any one of them, they’ve all had to make difficult decisions for what they think is the best for their individual countries and not one of them have been wrong or right, because there hasn’t been any perfect decisions. It’s just been like flipping a coin.

What I do think is wrong is when people bring politics into it, just because they don’t like Boris.

4 Likes

But I hear all that as just muddying the waters again, really

If people dislike Boris Johnson and his politics or not isn’t the point, is it?

The real issue is did our Prime Minister know about office parties and go to them while the rest of us were making terrible heartbreaking sacrifices to obey lockdown rules?

And did he lie to Parliament about it to cover his backside?

If he did, I think we’re entitled to say he’s not fit to be PM without getting accused of being witch hunt! :hushed:

And I feel all this talk of hypocrisy, the media, Keir Starmer, how ‘great’ a PM he’s been, how difficult it’s been for him etc etc just gets used as cover, to divert us from that real issue to try to get him off the hook

2 Likes

Maree just goes to show how completely different people we are. I couldn’t give a damn what anybody did during lockdown 18 months ago.

All I care about is what position we are in now and what the future holds for us.

1 Like

So, in 18 months time, you probably won’t care about Keir Starmer’s beer, then … :smiley:

I remember hearing it about it at the time. And it didn’t surprise me and no, I wasn’t bothered then and I’m not bothered about it now, but I am bothered about what Kier Starmer said just recently:

2 Likes

I suppose can understand that, if you didn’t have to make big personal sacrifices yourself and now feel the PM and his cohorts were laughing at you

But don’t you worry that if the PM was prepared to behave so badly in the past and lie about it to Parliament it means he’d do the same again and not be the best person to lead us into the future?

And that the position where we are now is that we have a PM who seems to think the rules of the country don’t apply to him and his allies

So he has no moral authority any more.

Every decision and law he makes, people will ask themselves does that apply to everyone, including you and your friends, and are you telling the truth or lying?

You can’t run a country like that

1 Like

What so many conscientious folk did this past 18 months should never be forgotten, it helped keep folks they don’t know and will never meet be safe, likewise, the actions of the none compliants should also be remembered, and the ratio of both camps.

2 Likes

Maree this appears to be getting personal now. Due to lockdown it meant I couldn’t see my mum and dad for 18 months and as my mum has alzheimers, I was unsure that she’d still remember who I was when I did see her, thankfully she did, but it was still a worry. I’ve lost two people to Covid and won’t write out a full list of other things, because it’s not a competition But I’m the sort of person who doesn’t begrudge others and I’m just grateful for what I do have which can assure you isn’t a lot.

So, Sir Keir’s been “caught out” in one misdemeanour while BJ has been implicated in multiple misdemeanours and several possible civil “crimes” involving partying and tried to lie his way out of all of them … but only Sir Keir’s bottle of beer bothers you … :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed you can’t … :exclamation:

Quite right … :+1:

You didn’t read what I wrote. I said his misdemeanours didn’t bother me, it was what he said that did, i.e. if he had broken any of the rules he would resign. And if you notice he also said he had ‘collective’ responsibility.

Asked in a question and answer session if he held himself to the same standards as Mr Johnson – and if he would resign if found to have acted in the same way – Mr Starmer said ‘absolutely’.

He added: 'When we collectively asked the nation to act in a particular way, it was very important that we acted in the same way as the rest of the nation.

Hear Hear! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

People were ruddy heroes with what they sacrificed to keep others safe and that’s not nothing

And that’s why those who thought they were so great that the laws didn’t apply to them shouldn’t be forgotten either

Especially if they happened to be PM at the time ………

But, if he hadn’t committed the misdemeanour, you’d have no complaint … :question:

“Nobody warned me that it was against the rules,” the prime minister said, adding: “I would have remembered that.”

Asked if he would resign if he was found to have misled MPs, Mr Johnson said: “Let’s see what the report says.”

Senior civil servant Sue Gray is due to publish a report into alleged Covid rule breaking at lockdown get-togethers in Downing Street and government departments.

Obviously BJ is relying on a “whitewash” … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I just don’t get why this hypocrisy on Starmer’s part seems to be worse to you than what Boris Johnson did, and his lies? It seems quite unimportant in comparison

Is it because politically you favour the Conservatives over Labour?

Man says he’d resign if he had broken lockdown rules. Doesn’t resign, but insists another man who has broken lockdown rules does.

That’s the only bit I find wrong and I can’t understand how you can’t see that.

And no I don’t think either should resign, but I don’t think either should call for the others resignation either.