'100 invited' to Downing Street garden lockdown drinks

Oh dear, I’m very sorry if you feel it’s getting personal, I try not to do that

Of course it’s not a competition and I didn’t ask you to provide a list. I’m very sorry for the troubles Covid brought you xx

But I don’t think being angry that the PM didn’t follow the rules when the rest of us did is begrudging him anything he was entitled to. It’s OK to “begrudge” a thief his ill gotten gains, isn’t it?

And I think it revealed the sort of man he is and unfit as a PM, so it’s important not to look the other way and let him get away with it. That’s looking to the future of our country, not holding a grudge

But I’m glad you take joy in what you have so I hope it keeps you safe and happy

Boris doesn’t have to resign wilfully, the conservative MPs don’t have the numbers for a vote of no confidence through the 1922 committee and he is also still under the fixed term parliament law.

Just saying like …

But whatever Man 1 (Mr Starmer!) has done or said doesn’t excuse what Man 2 (Mr Johnson!)
had done or said

And it doesn’t make Man 2 any more fit to be PM

And Man 1 is leader of the opposition with a duty to the country to point that out

So I still don’t get why you are so angry and a bit obsessed over Man 1’s hypocrisy but not Man 2’s law breaking and backside covering lies?

Unless it’s because you prefer Man 2’s politics over Man 1’s?

2 Likes

Both man one and man two broke the rules. Do I give a damn, no.

Am I angry about the media digging up something from 18 months ago, too right I am.

What’s the point of bringing all this up again when we should all be looking forward and not bringing up past emotions.

I’m just grateful that we’re not in the same situation as other European countries are and countries that are even in a worse situation than they are.

And as not even Kier Starmer knows what his politics are, I find your last sentence rather silly.

All I’ve seen him do is criticise, he’d make a good news reporter.

3 Likes

Here’s a thought … considering the number of ordinary citizens that were fined for breaking lockdown rules and regs, howzabout fining all the Civil Servants and politicians that attended all the drinks parties (Starmer and Co included)?

5 Likes

Bleedin hell Maree you don’t half go for it do you … Man 1, man 2 … I’m waiting for Man Friday and Robin Crusoe to join in.

The gist of it is … they’re as bad as each other. Both have the same level of ‘answerability’ to their constituents. Both should be above criticism.

I wouldn’t want Man Friday running the country as he broke the same rules as Robin Crusoe whether or not Man Friday ever gets to be PM or not.

Anyway … I think all this ‘Partygate’ is a diversionary tactic to bury the fact that whilst we are all going to struggle with soaring energy bills … that a great many MPs claim fuel bills as expenses for their second homes.
In some cases to the tune of 1 to 2k per annum.

3 Likes

PMQs will be fun to watch tomorrow.

1 Like

Percy I’ve heard people say, including Rachael Johnson, that those who have been fined should get their money back and I’d go along with that. As lets face it those that have been fined was just bad luck, because I think the majority of people broke one rule or another, as I’ve previously pointed out there were the VE parties and also we’ve all seen the media breaking them.

Morti I agree, I think them claiming their fuel bills is far more important and worth discussing than whether somebody went to a party or other event.

Now that really is taking the pee out of the tax payers, but all I see the media discussing is partygate.

1 Like

I’ve already reserved a front row seat :grinning:

The point of bringing it up again is because it shows we have a PM who thinks it’s OK to break the rules and fib about it

We can’t safely look forward to our future knowing someone like that is in charge and may do it again if we let him sweep it under the carpet, can we?

So the media should investigating and uncovering it, that’s what they’re there for

And I bet most of these countries you’re glad you’re not in aren’t putting their future in the hands of a leader who broke the law and lied about it?

But perhaps you think because Boris Johnson did a good job in some respects he should be let off for the law breaking and fibs?

Rather silly?” :rofl: Rude! :rofl: But I’ve been called a lot worse …….

And as Keir Starmer is a member of the Labour Party I find your accusations that he doesn’t know what his politics are “rather silly” too!

He’s Labour, Johnson is Conservative and I’m beginning to wonder if you’re getting worked up over Starmer’s hypocrisy and the media exposing Johnson more than Johnson’s law breaking and lying because you are a Conservative voter who wants Johnson to get away with it

Yup, I’d agree with that
And if not and I was someone who had been fined, I’d be asking for my money back :rofl:

I think the fuel issue is important too but as the Conservatives have never shown much compassion for those in fuel poverty up to now, their supporters shouldn’t use it now to try to divert attention from what Boris Johnson has done on Partygate

Nor using sonic booms on immigrants in the channel, the BBC licence fee and everything else they are trying to throw into the ring to muddy the water try to save Big Dog

All those issues are important but they don’t make having a fibbing lawbreaker as a PM less important or lessen the grief and anger of those who made sacrifices during lockdown and now think the PM and his people were laughing at them

I think there’s another thread somewhere on fuel prices?

1 Like

Oh right … point duly noted.

1 Like

I just wish Big Dog would Man Up and ‘fess up instead of chucking Red Meat into the ring to distract the baying wolves … we all know what went on so instead of discombobulating the Commons, why not just come clean and say
Yeah, yeah … I kept my staff happy through Lockdown with boozy office / garden parties cos that’s the way I operate … always have, always will.

2 Likes

Yep, Big Dogs and Chair Legs, what else is there to know.

1 Like

The senior civil servant investigating allegations of at least nine lockdown-breaking parties at Downing Street has been given access to a detailed log of staff movements in and out of the building from security data including swipecards.

Whitehall figures say the inquiry by Sue Gray – who is expected to publish a report of about 25 pages this week – has been “forensic”, looking in “granular detail” at who was in the building for social gatherings, some of which went on into the early hours, and the precise timings of their arrivals and departures.

Johnson and his staff, as well as civil servants and others who attended the events under investigation, are anxiously awaiting Gray’s conclusions this weekend. She has been assisted by six civil servants with HR experience.

Many Tory MPs say they are holding off from deciding whether to call for the prime minister to resign until they see its conclusions, and hear the reactions of their constituents.

Rumours have also been circulating in government in recent days that Gray may have details of yet another gathering in Downing Street, possibly in the PM’s flat and involving close friends of his wife, that has not yet come to light. Discovery of a 10th get-together when Covid restrictions were in place would seriously undermine Johnson’s attempts to survive the crisis.

But senior Whitehall sources also say the information from data logs that record movements for security reasons could be decisive, as they will have given Gray conclusive proof of who was where and when, and how many people remained after normal working hours – details that she would otherwise have lacked.

The source added that the security logs would also have allowed Gray to draw conclusions about the culture at No 10, which appears to have allowed parties to have become regular events. “If you get the data and you find a large group all swiped out at 1am in the morning, then it looks very much like it was a party and if that was going on regularly you can judge from that.”

Sue Gray, it seems, is the type that brooks no argument … :open_mouth:

Hi

I think some of misunderstand how the system works.

The terms of reference of her investigation have been set by the Prime Minister.

She has a very difficult job to do.

As things stand at the moment, Boris will decide which parts of her report can be published.

She is under huge pressures.

Boris could have given the job to someone already retired, who has nothing to lose at all.

He chose not too.

I think that everyone understands how the system works.

Basics - never pick an enemy to review a situation, always pick someone , in your control, who you can trust, and who will let you review the findings.

That’s how the system works!

The target has to know when an enquiry could bite and, also, has to get some control in case the bite could hurt.

That’s called “Business As Usual”