Zen Internet - I've Switched to Full Fibre

:thinking: I wonder what the bumps are for then? Looks like an aircraft! :joy:

No wait…it looks like a wallet from the 1980’s!

1 Like

They’re probably aerials … :satellite:

1 Like

Ahh yes…I’m old school…an aerial (to me) is like a stick thing, not bumps :smiley: But so long as it works efficiently!

1 Like

Modern cars have sharks fins:

to pick up cellular data, GPS, terrestrial and satellite radio.

1 Like

Oh thats interesting, I honestly didn’t know that! I just thought it was some kind of fancy design…well I never! :thinking:

1 Like

My first thought was that they acted as feet.

1 Like

Initially, they reminded me of 1960’s car tail fins:

1 Like

The OpenReach FullFibre Installation took a couple of hours including removing existing exterior copper cabling, installing the fibre replacement and fitting the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Synching the ONT and the ZEN router took longer than expected but finally completed OK.

The issues that arose centred around the new location of the router and its connections to other (non-wifi) devices, e.g. TV, PVR, telephone - those will be resolved by using Powerline Adapters, as required. My bedroom telephone extension (copper cable) will be replaced by a cordless phone extension. No further expenditure should be necessary.

Currently:

103.0 Mbps download

19.2 Mbps upload

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No open reach fibre optics here for at least another 2/3 years

Digital Voice

An issue has arisen with DV and mobile services.

Apparently, calls to all mobile services, except Sky, are free. As I a trial, I rang my own mobile phone several times - connections were quick and clear.

However, when I received my monthly bill, I noted that I had been charged for those calls … :astonished:

Naturally, I contacted Zen, who confirmed the Sky exclusion but I advised Zen that I am with Virgin … :confused:

This “anomaly” is now under investigation - in the meantime, I will not be charged for any calls, made using DV, to Virgin mobiles … :phone:

If you have a mobile phone why would you need to make calls from your fibre connection? I had/have a free VOIP service for years but found that I never used it so I just unplugged it.

I’m with Zen but no contact yet re full fibre .

1 Like

The fibre connection phone still has my landline number attached for convenience - it’s my preference for “business & domestic” use, is well known to health services and comes with 1000 free minutes.

My mobile phone is my preference for “personal” use - I have 1000 free minutes with that, too.

Perhaps full fibre hasn’t reached you yet - you could enquire:

Are Zen a local one, we’re in N Devon but a company from Cornwall is bringing High Speed ( so they say) they are doing lots of work in the area . Out side on the pavement is a BT junction box, they are not allowed to use that and have had to install their own.

https://wildanet.com/

1 Like

AFAIK, Zen are nationwide but regional companies may take precedence in certain areas. You could enquire at Zen:

1 Like

Here in London the streets are getting dug up by a company called

The cable is laid in my street but not switch on yet. My current provider, BT, is offering fibre “deals” (ie. 6 months at half price) when available. But we’ll see: there’s going to be lots of companies offering it.

1 Like

So many people have deserted dialup, it’s a lot faster than it used to be.

Notification from Tasha at Zen:

I have double checked with our Voice Product Portfolio manager and he has confirmed that included are the main UK providers, 02, EE, Vodafone and Three. Calls to other networks are chargeable, however this will be under review next month.

So, it’s the old waiting game … :069:

I didn’t have any choice, about a decade ago the NBN went through and ripped out all the copper and replaced it with fibre.

Personally I was highly delighted, in fact being able to ring Telstra and tell them to stick their line rental where the sun don’t shine was a life highlight. No line rental on fibre!

My land line number became a free VOIP service (in Australia we “own” our phone number). I still have that number but I have disconnected all the equipment as it was never used except by Micro$oft technicians worried about virus activity on my computer.

1 Like