Zen Internet - I've Switched to Full Fibre

Ruhal from Zen called and made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse - their Full Fibre 100 package for less than I’m paying for a copper connection. This will include the optional 1000 free minutes via Digital Voice and a new router:

The router will arrive within a couple of days and the installation will take place within a couple of weeks.

Downloading the latest Marvel blockbuster in 1080p HD with an Ultrafast connection of 900Mbps takes less than a minute.

Not that a “Marvel blockbuster” would be my choice but I’ll take the speed … :wink:

2 Likes

Are they installing the cable to your house? If so, then good for you. Virgin seem to own the cabling installed by Nynex around here a decade or so ago, so Zen not currently available for us.

May I ask what your package costs, if that’s not too intrusive?

1 Like

AFAIK, the exterior cabling is BT OpenReach.

With the optional Digital Voice, £40 pm.

1 Like

Sounds pretty good value to me.

The proof of the pudding will be next year upon renewal time.

1 Like

Quite … :+1:

My NBN fibre was installed about a decade ago, certainly was a happy day when I could say farewell to copper and tell Telstra to stick it’s line rental where the sun don’t shine. When I think back it was up there with the day I walked out of school for the very last time.

When the kids visit it is nice to have them watching different streaming services while I use my computer with little noticeable loss of speed.

The router arrived today:

AVM FRITZ!Box 7530

2 Likes

That looks a bit futuristic :smiley: Sounds like a great deal, especially for movie download speeds! :+1:

1 Like

The speed is certainly sci-fi - I can remember it taking a couple of hours to download a single music album - if you could keep the connection long enough … :laughing:

1 Like

The internet has come such a long way from dial up, hasn’t it! :joy:

1 Like

Indeed … IIRC, before that it was 2 tin cans and a piece of string:

2 Likes

This is my current one - it’s got “go-faster” wings:

1 Like

:thinking: I wonder what the bumps are for then? Looks like an aircraft! :joy:

No wait…it looks like a wallet from the 1980’s!

1 Like

They’re probably aerials … :satellite:

1 Like

Ahh yes…I’m old school…an aerial (to me) is like a stick thing, not bumps :smiley: But so long as it works efficiently!

1 Like

Modern cars have sharks fins:

to pick up cellular data, GPS, terrestrial and satellite radio.

1 Like

Oh thats interesting, I honestly didn’t know that! I just thought it was some kind of fancy design…well I never! :thinking:

1 Like

My first thought was that they acted as feet.

1 Like

Initially, they reminded me of 1960’s car tail fins:

1 Like

The OpenReach FullFibre Installation took a couple of hours including removing existing exterior copper cabling, installing the fibre replacement and fitting the ONT (Optical Network Terminal). Synching the ONT and the ZEN router took longer than expected but finally completed OK.

The issues that arose centred around the new location of the router and its connections to other (non-wifi) devices, e.g. TV, PVR, telephone - those will be resolved by using Powerline Adapters, as required. My bedroom telephone extension (copper cable) will be replaced by a cordless phone extension. No further expenditure should be necessary.

Currently:

103.0 Mbps download

19.2 Mbps upload

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes