Youtube upload time

Yesterday I decided that as tomorrow we are supposed to be switching from a very slow BT broadband service to a private company fibre optic service. So I did a video shot in MOV format cine D (private upload) test with it to youtube. The time taken using 4k at highest quality was 1 hr and 9 minutes then add youtube processing time on top. The video file size was only 2.74GB so not that big, playing it direct on my computer took 45 seconds and shot in super slow motion. Used Wondershare Filmora 12 editing suite (resolution 3840 x 2160 @30fps) to send to youtube

So tomorrow when we go live with fibre I will do the same test again and see what the difference is. We went for the 100 MBPS packae download speed with fibre to start with but can up to the next package if we want to pay a bit more.

1 Like

Why not use a standard Ookla speed test? Makes much more sense - it is recorded and repeatable

You end up with a result like this:

I do, but that doesn’t tell me how long it takes to upload a video to youtube, only the transmission speed in mpbs. Nor can it tell me the difference between the old and new time it takes

Yes it does. There are 8 bits to a byte so that upload speed is 38/8 equals 4.7 Megabytes per second and you know how big your film file is - it is simple maths.

If you say so Bruce only my upload speed is, if lucky, 5mbps. I do things my way which obviously different to yours

Obviously the speed I quoted is my fibre speed but even 5 is divisible by 8, what 0.6?

So a 100Mb video will take approximately 166 seconds or about 3 minutes. It would take under half a minute on my link.

Use a calculator for more accurate figures. There is probably a bit of overhead for error checking but a quick google would find out what that is.

But is that with 4k file size or 1080p? And at highest quality which I mentioned in my original post

It doesn’t matter does it? just look at the size of the file, the content is irrelevant it could be a Text file for all the upload speed cares.

File Explorer tells you the file size

If you say so Bruce

I’ve been with Sky for a while. I called last week to have the possibility of another phone outlet as the one we had was putting the phone at an inconvenient place. Aka down behind a cabinet lol!

It was done lickety-split, phone now accessible.

They’d noticed that there was a problem with the internet speed. Must admit I’d noticed a slowness but as it didn’t bother us, didn’t make a fuss about it.

Not uploading any videos to my YouTube channel just now. Although, I’ll be doing that later this year.

Got a reply that they’d found the fault and fixed it. To check the speed, I use this

The download is good and what pics I download it’s fast enough. My emails are sent quickly. So, not worried. I know it’s a special one but no idea if it’s fibre.

My videos are short and sweet, straight to the point. They still play fine for now

https://youtube.com/@cdbthestoryteller