Your sporting stories/achievements

Nice Keezoy! I know you’re a surfer but I didn’t know that you won a surfing competition! How awesome :cool:
All this talk of surfing makes me miss the ocean again. It’s my favourite place to be. By the way- you would love SA beaches - surfing is awesome here :hug:

That’s a great write up Ciderman :hug:
Nice play on words :slight_smile: thanks for sharing!

Dachs thanks for sharing. I swim everyday in spring and summer - great exercise!

Racquet sports - I loved tennis but it didn’t pan out for me. It’s a rather embarrassing story but highlights the importance of a ‘proper’ coach.

I was 8 years old and from the little I’d gleaned from the telly, tennis looked like fun and something I would have enjoyed. Our school had just had tennis courts installed. All the kids wanted to be in the Tennis team. So our PE teacher decided to test anyone who wanted to play to gauge who had talent to be developed…

One key point in this little story is that the coach didn’t take the time to explain the rules of the game. We were just given a bat and asked to ‘play’! Having ZERO understanding of what was required of me, I didn’t serve into the designated area. My ‘serve’ was always wide:-( how on Earth was I to know where to serve !

Anyway, the result was that I was overlooked for the Tennis club. One of my biggest regrets :frowning: I play if we go to a resort but I’ve never been coached- maybe I should add it to my bucket list.

With my son, I’ve done many sports because I’m mom and dad :cool: so we play squash but he’s a demon on the court. I practiced his soccer, cricket, rugby and hockey with him - I didn’t want him to miss out.

I really want to learn to ride a bicycle though- perhaps this summer!

I enjoy my run on the treadmill usually 3-5km is good for me.

Wonderful memories Ciderman :hug:

Thanx Minx. It was only a teens local beaches contest. But at 15 it was still pretty exciting. I know surfing is big in SA. Had a mate from Durban back then. He was a “supergrommet” :slight_smile:

My one moment of sporting glory. :-p

I loved playing football when I was at school or at least I liked the idea of it. I could see what needed to be done but due to a knee injury from when I was little, I was never really any good at it.

Anyway, for some reason, I was put into the school football team, (I still don’t know why). My first match against another school and I was a defender. I spent most of the first half just chatting to our goalie (who also should not have been in the team) but eventually one of their players came at me with the ball and I managed to pull off my greatest tackle of all time.

Now with the ball in my possession, I toe punted it as hard as I possible could up the pitch and guess what? No one spotted it, including their goal keeper and it went straight in the net without touching another player. I was so pleased but the pleasure didn’t last very long… we lost 7-1. :cry:

An epic experience Longdogs.

Thanks for sharing:-)

Minx wrote

Racquet sports - I loved tennis but it didn’t pan out for me. It’s a rather embarrassing story but highlights the importance of a ‘proper’ coach.

That’s a bit odd, indeed. I must say, however, that I didn’t have a proper couch either. We just learnt by observing others and informed ourselves about the rules. It was sort of expected.
Riding a bicycle is great fun. I should have mentioned that I have been doing that since I was a boy and somehow took for granted that everyone can do it…:shock:

Upps, I meant coach of course…:wink:

1. My parents couldn’t afford to buy one
  2. In my culture, girls were not permitted to ride bicycles on the streets - my parents were VERY strict

That’s still super cool Keezoy :cool:

Minx wrote

1. My parents couldn’t afford to buy one
  2. In my culture, girls were not permitted to ride bicycles on the streets - my parents were VERY strict

That’s very interesting, indeed.

I saw on another thread that Carol had asked about the old format forum and a link was provided so I took a quick look down memory lane.

This was an interesting thread - if any of the newer members would like to share their sporting experiences, please feel free to share :grinning:

Horse sports.
Me on my brother’s horse Rene, middle horse. I didn’t win. :grinning:

I’ve still got that rosette. :grinning:

2 Likes

My school sports achievement was in hockey and gymnastics where I was awarded full school colours which were sewn onto my school blazer.

I was goalkeeper in the school hockey team and wore my brother’s old football boots to kick most of the hockey balls away. :grinning:

That takes me back a few years! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I rowed bow in eights for the school which culminated at Pangbourne for the school to take the trophy cup. I also was an archer for the county in several competitions and also fenced with foil until lack of time brought that to an abrupt close.

1 Like

It would be great if you could share a pic :smiley:

1 Like

Wonderful Mags, any injuries?

1 Like

Oh my, very posh LD!

Fortunately no injuries, Minx :grinning:

1 Like