Your sporting stories/achievements

In one moment, Bobby Orr became a hockey legend. On May 10, 1970, Orr scored an overtime goal in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals, giving the Boston Bruins their first championship since 1941.

In 1971, Orr signed the first million-dollar contract in NHL history – $200,000 a year for five years – and in 1979 he became the youngest NHL Hall of Famer when he was inducted at the age of 31.

Did you play a sport in high school?

If yes, what sport did you play and were you any good at it?

Share your sporting stories/achievements/lack thereof on this thread

1 Like

All my childhood I played cricket. French cricket in the garden and cricket played from one side of the road to the other (stumps drawn in chalk on the wall outside our house). Cars were a rarity back then so no problems there.

By the time I got to secondary school I was good at cricket. During one sports session when I was 15, my batting innings lasted all afternoon. Come the end of school time, the games master tried to finish it but he couldn’t. The only thing that ended it was running out of time.

“School team for you” he said as we walked off the games field but I had to tell him I couldn’t take it up because my Father has seen a good job at a factory he used to work for. He brought me out of school early to start it.

I would really liked to have stayed and been in the school team. I’ve often wondered if it could have gone further.

Hi Mart,

That’s an awesome story (accept the part where you couldn’t pursue cricket)!

Thank you for sharing. I don’t think clubs existed back then or you could have joined a club :hug:

I was rubbish at running sports at school, but I had good hand to eye co-ordination, so things like javelin, archery, netball, volleyball, were good for me.

Hi PK, those were my sports as well including Long jump, High jump, soccer, Discus, shot put, and I was captain of the tug of war team. Happy days :slight_smile:

Oh me too! Tug of War, shot put, Discus…yeah! I couldn’t do long jump or high jump very well though. I was better just standing still and throwing things :smiley:

High school? what on earth is that. Never had it in my schooldays. As for sport erm yes 100 yrd sprint was my thing . Fastest out of 11 colleges did it in 11.2 seconds and world record was 9.2 seconds back then . I was only about 13 years old at the time so not too bad
Time now about 5 years to do same distance

Down my local pub I am a god when it comes to the half litre snatch…I think I have peaked a bit early though since the pubs reopened I might have over trained a bit.
My half litre of beer doesn’t even touch the sides when I get it to my lips. I get extra points for lip smacking.

Great memories realspeed:-)

Is that a recognised sport Vlad?

Had a laugh. What can I say, I could fly through the air when I was a teenager. Ah to be young again

nostalgic

I used to cycle on an old heavy pushbike (BSA Meteor with a Sturmey-Archer 4speed hub gear) to school and back every day distance in total about 13 miles which kept me fit. this was in the mid 1950s/early 1960 era

Not much to tell on my end.

How about you Minx? Got any sports stories?

French Cricket, croquet, shooting rabbits, banger racing, rugby club pint swilling. :cool:

You must have been super fit realspeed :slight_smile:

Yes, lots Plank. But they’re all embarrassing :blush:

Suppose so but thought nothing of it at the time. For me it was quicker than going by bus
Remember cycling home after school in a heavy snow fall very large flakes falling and I went straight into a car parked on the roadside. Buckled front wheel and had to carry the bike 2 miles home

Hey DooD
Don’t tell me those French even have their own cricket :017:

That’s horrid - you shot cute bunny rabbits :frowning:

Running, mostly long distance. But this is peanuts compared to my cousin. He has clocked up over seventy marathons all over the world including the Antarctic. And he is still at it!

Wow Visitor! Your cousin must be in good nick.
I enjoy running but on a treadmill