Your embarrassing online moments

What have you done, accidentally let’s assume, online that has led to a great deal of embarrassment?

I can’t attest to be technologically very proficient. I know what I need to know in order to function at work but outside of that I don’t have a great deal of computing knowledge.
So, with that in mind, I engaged in conversation here on this very site. Without going into detail, there was an exchange regarding the same places me and this person had been.
Coincidence central on our little planet. Photos were sent, smiling faces in idyllic settings. I reciprocated.
Opening the appropriate file (I thought), I randomly clicked away.

Turns out, a whole lot more than smiles were sent and seen :astonished: :flushed:

Oh the embarrassment! Suffice to say, I no longer have any secrets with that correspondent :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

There are of course other moments. The surf has more than once decided it didn’t like me in a bikini…the wind has decided my skirt was far too light for the conditions…
Real life moments. Somehow the online nature of it on this occasion made it feel all the more real. Is that weird?

ps: my first ever thread so go easy on me lol

5 Likes

When I first started using a PC I was looking for a song my sister had loved as a little girl. I wasn’t sure how it was spelt, and when I put it what I thought was right it turned out to be a sort of glove thing men could use for pleasuring themselves!!!

The song was “sucu Sucu” by Nina and Frederik, I can’t remember how I spelt it to get that “product”

2 Likes

lol. Thank goodness you didn’t share your accidental discovery with your sister!

And please, don’t ever recall what that “product” was called…

1 Like

On the plus side, it wasn’t shared with the whole board in public. :smiley:

I can’t think of anything that I’ve sent inadvertently. I try to check my links before I send them. Maybe I’ll remember an incident later. I’ll have to think on it.

1 Like

For your sake, I hope you fail to think of one lol

And goodness, imagine the horror of posting like that to the board…

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve had any embarrassing moments on this forum, I’ve never experienced what you have,I guess it depends what you accidentally sent…

1 Like

My first online oops too. I am very aware of my limitations normally so try to pay attention. But I have made a concerted effort to get stuck in and give more things a go lately…the kids have been giving me grief…

And as for what I sent…ummmm…everything!!!

1 Like

I just hope they don’t use it against you, if you get my meaning…:pray:

1 Like

No, not at all likely. He was very understanding and very sweet about it

2 Likes

I think we’ve all done it to a greater or lesser extent, particularly said something that later seemed cringeworthy.

In my case it is often the spell checker that has changed things and I hadn’t noticed, it’s amazing how one letter in one word can change a meaning quite substantially… :flushed:

1 Like

There is certainly a lot to be said for proof reading. lol
I only wish my incident had been a mere slip of the tongue or stray finger…

Didn’t get any complaints tho :wink: :wink:

1 Like

[quote="Lucylulu,

Didn’t get any complaints tho :wink: :wink:

Careful!..:wink:

1 Like

The lady doth protest too much, methinks… :rofl:

1 Like

Fortunately (touch wood), I have not had any bad embarrassing moments on here, but I can’t recall ever having photo’s or stuff that would cause such embarrassment to me or anyone else.

If I had raunchy pics of myself for example, I am pretty sure the males here would withdraw their accounts in fear and horror immediately! :smiley:

1 Like

Not embarrassing exactly but I did once form a strong friendship with a lady in Canada who was dying of cancer.

Day after day she’s speak to me & a few other friends who felt sorry for her. The forum owner even gave her her own exclusive section to chat in. This went on for weeks & then one day her son came on the forum & announced that the pain had been too much for his mother & she’d taken her own life.

Well, I just sat & cried at my computer amazed at how close you can get to somebody you’ve never met…

Of course we went through all the usual stuff you do when somebody dies - had a memorial column for her etc.

After a few weeks we got back to normal, only for the forum owner to tell us this ‘dead’ lady had returned from the dead and was attempting to join the forum under a different name.

All hell let loose then. She was defending herself saying she’d done nothing wrong etc.

She got banned & we never heard from her again. I felt a fool for being taken in by her story…

3 Likes

Gosh Carol, that’s despicable isn’t it? I’ve heard of these sorts of things before, people pretending to be terminally ill online, just to get attention. It’s really odd. I expect a psychologist would be able to explain why they feel the need to do this. Quite sad really.

@Lucylulu, I can’t think of any embarrassing online moments (probably a few RL ones, though :see_no_evil:). Heavens, you must have been mortified! But thankfully the recipient was gracious and understanding - and thankfully it wasn’t posted to a board for the whole site to see, OMG I think that might have seen you running for the hills never to return :flushed: :joy:

1 Like

There was a poster on one forum I was on who had to use a friends phone to post on the forum, she never did get the hang of predictive texting & most of her messages where hilarious. We were all in fits when she posted. She took it all in good part though.

1 Like

My worst faux pas is not double checking my posts before posting them here. I often read them back later and I’m embarrassed at the number of errors in them. I don’t think I’ve ever done anything worse than that… maybe I have and I just haven’t realised… hope not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I once joined a forum where there was a member who posted daily rants about her workplace and the people who worked in it. Some of it was familiar and when I looked at her username I realised who it was as she had used her cat’s very distinctive name. The funny thing was that at work, she was such a quiet, inoffensive person and everything she posted was made up, including her sick husband and three children. Her posts seemed so real though that I came to the conclusion that I had made a mistake until her cat died and she posted a photo of herself and the cat - it was her!

2 Likes

That’s it! The word I was looking for when I penned the original post…thank you!

1 Like