Your earliest musical memory

This one from around the same time I recall and also one for our Australian members. Until now I hadn’t realised The Seekers were Australian, or perhaps I had forgotten from all those years ago!

“The Seekers are an Australian folk-influenced pop quartet, originally formed in Melbourne in 1962. They were the first Australian pop music group to achieve major chart and sales success in the United Kingdom and the United States.”

3 Likes

I like the simplistic harmony in it. They clean up well too. Very nice. Thank you. :grin:

1 Like

:023: You are welcome. :grinning:

1 Like

Another one from the early-1960s (1961) – Blue Moon by The Marcels, does anyone remember this?

1 Like

Judith is my sweetheart. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Here they are years later singing the song written by Bruce many think should be the National Anthem

2 Likes

I think I first heard this in the movie Grease

1 Like

Saw the film on TV but cannot recall if that one was in the movie, it was a long time ago now! :thinking: :grinning:

1 Like

I’m probably thinking of this slightly different blue moon song - good bit at the end when she starts talking in Spanish!

1 Like

That definitely was not the version of ‘Grease’ that I knew, no ‘mooning’ in that one! The one I do remember most of was in the late-1970s and starred John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John:

1 Like

Perhaps there was a censored version. That song & scene is just fabulous. Olivia had to be sewn into those trousers! Everyone at school was talking about this film all the time, imitating the songs and fashions.

1 Like

That’s possible I guess, no knowledge of that though. Olivia Newton-John has certainly done a lot in her life, I know she went on to be diagnosed with cancer and has since become an advocate for breast cancer research and other health issues, it’s an interesting read with many links if you have the time:

2 Likes

I remember this, can’t remember if it was on the radio or that we had a grammaphone record that we played on the wind up grammaphone player. I remember that and i used to let it wind down a lot and wind it back up while the record was playing.

1 Like

I think my earliest musical memory was my dad playing the harmonica.

1 Like

I must have been no more than two when a bunch of unknown (to me) relatives visited my parents while en route to Israel. They had traditional musical instruments with them I was later to learn what they were. An odd looking thing, a balalaika played a bit like a guitar, a violin, a zither, and of course use of our piano. What an amazing cacophony of sound! Playing Russian and Polish music - never heard the same before or since. Never forgotten that afternoon in deepest Manchester!

1 Like

Can’t remember if I have already posted in here - apologies if I am repeating! From the age of 5 or 6 there were two songs I was required to sing at Grandma’s ‘Musical Evenings’

and

2 Likes

Lovely!

1 Like

Thank you kind Sir. They remain two of my favourites as they always remind me of my lovely Grandma.

1 Like

I re-heard this piece of music a few years ago, and I knew I recognised it, but it took me ages to pin it down. It is Berceuse (The Dolly Suite) by Faure, and it is the theme music from Listen with Mother.

2 Likes

Wow - that brought back memories. I believe the actress in the photo may be Daphne Oxenford. She turned up in all sorts of TV series/fims.