Your earliest musical memory

Yes mine are similar,we didn’t have the cake though :frowning:

1 Like

I’m sorry, it wasn’t very good but still, it was better than nothing

[quote=“Longdogs, post:1, topic:53037”]
![|480x360](https://forum.over50schat.com/uploads/default/original/3X/5/3/539137ba6bf4b59d39eshowing my age here but my earliest memory is being a wee toddler sitting on the doorsted and listening to the boy next door playing
“When I grow too old to dream” on his piano accordian.

Was he any good?

A couple of songs. My sister and me used to sit next to the radio listening to a Saturday morning children’s programme. We always looked forward to the same song. I think it was on every week…

A bit after that, we started going to Saturday Morning Pictures at the Pavillion cinema. There was always a singalong with the bouncing ball going along the words. ‘The Quartermaster’s Store’ came up quite often…

2 Likes

Yes,I remember Burl’s songs.He was a good actor too.This is him in The Big Country.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Mart, that’s such special memories! Not my earliest memory but I definitely spent a large part of my childhood recoding the Top 40 countdown on cassettes and trying to time it to ‘pause’ just before the DJ spoke. Such great memories

4 Likes

Cassettes opened up a new world for all of us.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely Psmith! Those mixed tapes! The pencil to wind them up when they jammed and trying to squeeze in the artist and title in pencil so you could record over it if Dad didn’t have a few quid for another cassette!

Kids nowadays will never know!

2 Likes

Oh my gosh…I did that on a Sunday night, stopping and starting. Pressing Play/Rec all the time. So much fun!

3 Likes

Yes, he made the scene quite emotional when he had to shoot his son.

I can remember doing similar with songs in my teens on a reel to reel tape recorder. :grinning:

That ‘Quartermaster’s Store’ song wasn’t sung quite to gently at Saturday Morning Pictures. It reached a terrific crescendo at the end with loads of kids all bawling the words out. :grinning:

2 Likes

So special Mart! Thanks for sharing

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and this…I danced to it as a toddler lol before we moved to Canada from England…

Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop 1964

2 Likes

That’s such a lovely song and a precious memory. I can just imagine a little girl bobbing along to this song in England :slight_smile: wonderful times those must’ve been !

The first Ska hit in the UK.
It was a long time before Two Tone

1 Like

Puff the Magic Dragon

2 Likes

I’ve probably already posted this here but it’s a nice song that impressed me as a toddler :

1 Like

This one from around the same time I recall and also one for our Australian members. Until now I hadn’t realised The Seekers were Australian, or perhaps I had forgotten from all those years ago!

“The Seekers are an Australian folk-influenced pop quartet, originally formed in Melbourne in 1962. They were the first Australian pop music group to achieve major chart and sales success in the United Kingdom and the United States.”

3 Likes

I like the simplistic harmony in it. They clean up well too. Very nice. Thank you. :grin:

1 Like

:023: You are welcome. :grinning:

1 Like