Young watch almost seven times less TV than over-65s - Ofcom UK

They have so many other things to play with - computers, IPads, cell phones, weird games, XBox stuff - who needs TV?

1 Like

Much of which involves communicating with others, albeit not in a traditional sense. And yet we often bemoan how the youth of today don’t spend much time talking to each other, while forgetting that the “7 times less” suggests we’re “7 times more” likely to block ourselves off from communicating with the outside world.

1 Like

yes :grinning:

1 Like

Oh! Deary me! Doctor, I have a problem. Despite the pitiable quality of many TV programmes. I was watching anywhere between 12-15 hours a day. (some indication of my social life) Apart from binging on the Commonwealth and Euro’s though. I have purposefully cut down on my viewing, especially during the day. I watch between 6-7 hours a day now.

They’re watching streaming video. Same thing really. The article in the OP is only about traditional TV in the UK.

I think the nearest thing to traditional TV here is cable TV. Same trend here. The older people have to cancel cable TV. Many of the younger people never got it, so it will likely continue to decline for that generation as time goes on.

1 Like

Well, I have Stan, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ and find plenty to watch but I definitely don’t watch TV for six hours a day. Too many other things to do.

Yesterday I just watched the finale of “Better Call Saul” on Stan, the free to air 7pm news on the ABC and caught up with Monday’s “Media Watch” on iView (some b@stard rang me just as it was starting on Monday).

Never thought I would ever get pay TV when the overpriced Foxtel first came out but Netflix was a game changer making the cost plummet.

I only watch “planned” TV and the news

I can’t remember when I last watched something live at the actual time it was broadcast :woman_shrugging: Maybe bits of Eurovision

But TV is company for a lot of isolated old people who might not understand or have access to the more interactive internet

1 Like

That is true Maree and for many people TV is a way of keeping in touch with the world.
Why are so many people embarrassed to admit that they watch TV ?
I don’t go out much in the evening because I like to stay home with my pet cats so , if I don’t have family or friends round for dinner, I watch evening TV.
The News keeps me up to date with what is happening in the world, Quiz programmes keep my mind active. The soap operas sometimes get over dramatic but, like it or not, they often reflect the lives of many real people. There are also some good dramas about true criminal stories that occurred in our lifetime.
Through my teens & 20’s & 30’s I didnt watch much TV, I was out living my life, but these days I can’t be bothered getting dressed up to go out , I did that for most of my life because I didn’t have children to care for. Now I am doing what many parents did, staying home & looking after my cats, all I need is an extra lap to accommodate them. :laughing: They are not good at conversation though, so the TV keeps my brain active!

2 Likes

Probably their body clock needs it too:
6.00 News
7.00 One Show
8.00 Corry
and so on

I hate that. I want to be free … to watch when I want to watch.

4 Likes

I got out of the habit of regular TV watching when I was so busy working full time and being a carer for mum

We’d just watch the news then plan something to watch when we finally had a bit of time in the evening. So we’d be selective, record a show we wanted to see or watch on Netflix and the habits stuck

It’s nice to be able to choose when you watch to fit in with the other things you do and be selective and not just watch stuff because it’s on

2 Likes

Just been googling:

how to watch tv series for free online

It amazing what comes up. So all you need is a laptop/iPad and earbud. The world is your oyster.

2 Likes

I dont watch soaps so dont have the TV on much , I use my laptop for the occasional tv , or if its something i enjoy then i put the big screen tv on .
I spend a lot of time on my laptop rather than just sitting staring into space ,and my laptop gives me a read out on how long i spent in a week screen time , which on average is 7 hours , a lot is browsing this forum ,and YT and my Family History sites …

I dont think that too bad really .

1 Like

Last night on More4 I watched a programme, that recorded the events at an A&E dept of a hospital, whilst I was in bed.
There was an 11 year old girl who had been knocked over by a car ,so she fell onto the road, where a bus ran on to her chest. She had a number of injuries & her parents were distraught, but the doctor believed they had a chance to save her.
They always tell you the outcome of these A&E cases at the end, but I fell asleep before I heard what happened to her. If anybody saw this and heard the outcome, would you please let me know… because this brave little girl deserved to survive!

1 Like

Given that the BBC sees fit to put endless sporting events on its main channel(s) for weeks on end, and complete dross for the rest of the time, we haven’t actually watched anything much on it, other than Masterchef (just to see whether their idea of “celebrityy” matches with ours…barely!) and a few minutes as fillers while waiting for something else to start on different channels.

This is interesting, Eliza…how do you get that, because I’d like to know for myself too. :smiley:

1 Like

Not critcising - just asking - those of you who spend a lot of time watching TV - do you not have any hobbies? :smiley_cat:

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles Im on a macbook air , so i think its in built , ive not sourced it myself , it flashes up in a small widget in top corner of my screen , I barely get time to read before its gone again .

1 Like

Not regular ones. Just the occasional obsessional ones that are short lived, hence the need for a TV backup. Sometimes I get into a reading phase, which might last for a few weeks/months. Sometimes I get into a posting on forum phase for a few weeks/months😉. Never really had a long term fad/hobby.

1 Like

Thanks Eliza…I’m on a Chromebook, so I’ll see if I can find an App for mine :+1:

I always think of a hobby as something you enjoy doing, so my hobby is to care for animals, especially cats that need care. It doesn’t give me anything beautiful to display, but I get great pleasure from winning a cats trust or watching the local wildlife get healthier.
I love cooking, so having friends round for dinner to try my recipes, is more rewarding than going out to a restaurant.
Most days I am up before 6am and usually in bed before 10 pm , so the time that I watch TV, in the evenings , is my relaxation time , usually shared with my cats who sit on the sofa with me.
I used to enjoy knitting, but cats and knitting are not a great combination! :laughing:

2 Likes