YouGov shows the Tories retain their lead in the latest poll

I tend to agree but again: given current circumstance why has nobody been able to do this?
:man_shrugging:

That’s diverging a little from the topic under discussion but to answer: while that might indeed have been the impression given, from recent events it certainly doesn’t seem to be entirely true.
The EU have backed down over Gibraltaltar AND over France’s demands regarding us, and they’re making some placatory sounds regarding NI too since we have told them bluntly that if things do not change then WE will change them - and soon too.

Agreed.
Fingers crossed then.
:grinning:

1 Like

If you look at the longer term polls (this is the one from Politico) you can see that the tories are going down in popularity, labour going down in popularity while other parties such as Reform growing. Although the smaller parties such as Reform are only growing slowly, they are consistent and come an election I can see the Tories having a minority party or even needing someone like Reform or the Lib Dems to form a coalition. The problem is that any other party they would need to form a coalition with would be a remain anti-Brexit party, whereas only Reform (and UKIP but they are dead now anyway) would be suitable without upsetting the majority of the country.

So the conservatives need to maintain their majority but their direction of travel will not permit it. It’s like a slow suicide.

The government have gained 2% in a week despite the media’s negativity, making it seen that once again the best efforts of our media trying to increase polarisation are proving to be counterproductive.

At the same time Sir Kier’s popularity has fallen by 1%, with his popularity now six points behind that of Boris.

https://twitter.com/YouGov

1 Like

I would expect a bigger jump in Tory popularity straight after Johnsons speech at the Conservative Party Conference last week.

He reminded me of Trump. Too many “phrases” and waffle. But then again, this is the guy who doesn’t care too much about anything…job losses, rising cancer cases, energy prices going up, etc.

For complete failure, you should look at the SNP.

1 Like

This thread isn’t about the SNP.

It’s not about Trump either :023:

1 Like

I referred to Boris reminding me of Trump. I didn’t make Trump the sole content of my post.

Yes you did. In the same way I referred to the SNP reminding me of the failures you wrote about

1 Like

So do I. He’s by far the best PM we’ve had since Maggie, IMHO.

@Percy de Vere, Boris’s popularity is down to his likeness
to Tommy Cooper !!
Donkeyman! :grin::smiley::joy::rofl::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Given the calibre of PM’s since Maggie that is not much of a a compliment.

@scot37 , Maggie Thatcher??
Is that the one that auctioned off British industry ?
Stopped all apprenticeships and job training? Leading to the
shortages of nurses and HGV drivers at a time when we had just
joined the EU, to which we were supposed to sell all the goods we
were’nt producing anymore ??
THAT Maggie Thatcher ??!!
Give her her due though, she did see Argentina off and finally
realised the EU was not a good idea ??
Donkeyman! :joy::joy:

You can hide with me over here on the naughty step :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

It is a symptom of just how poor the opposition are.

Boris is getting away with a pack of lies.

There a much better Tories, much more capable than him if reunning the UK.

Lets be realistic about Boris, he is the only PM since MT to show some degree of competence, being it only minor and headline grabbing. I dread to think how quickly we would have fallen off the ragged edge if Max Headroom was the PM with all the internal wrangling and strife within his party … sheesh!

1 Like

Thanks, Summer. Budge up and make a bit of space for me :lol:

I have a feeling it would have been a case of “Would the last person to leave please switch off the lights” if Liebour had won in 2019. Many think BoJo and the Tories are a car crash but, imho, Corbyn and his cohort would have totally and utterly destroyed what some people think is left of our great country.

2 Likes

The Prime Ministers that Johnson has to compete with since Thatcher are :slight_smile:

Major
Blair
Brown
Cameron
May

I mean come on, my dog would be better than all of them at running the country.

Johnson is a journalist. He is what he is … no commitment, self serving and lots of words.

1 Like

@Percy_Vere Oh yes, l have to agree with that Percy !!
But it still doesn’t excuse what Maggie caused initially imo ??
Boris was the best of an extremely appalling lot !!
Donkeyman! :-1::-1: