Yet Another Exciting and Productive Hobby Day

In another exciting adventure in the life of a 3D printer today I designed and built another device. (OK, “exciting” might be over egging the pudding a tiny bit) :wink:

I have mentioned elsewhere that I got a design from Thingiverse to make a set of rollers to use a larger spool of filament than my printer will normally take:

Here is it in use:

When I tested the rollers and they worked perfectly, the only fly in the ointment was initially getting the spool to sit in both rollers as they tended to move about independently. I also read that they had difficulties when the spool was nearly empty - ie very light.

I decided to design a holder for them which would keep them parallel and the correct distance apart no matter what. So once more it was into OpenScad to design something suitable.

It also had to have some way for changing the design to allow for different width of spool (of which there seem to be two). This is what I came up with:

It took a couple of hours to print but the original pieces fitted perfectly and made the whole thing so much more stable. Even better it was just a matter of dropping the spool onto them

I printed out another for the other size of reel.

BTW the writing is just showing off :wink:

It would be very easy to fix to the bench if necessary adding screw holes is dead easy but Blutack or double sided tape would be fine too.

Here is the OpenScad code if you are interested in trying it yourself:

//Spool Holder Stand

// Variables******************

Sphdwd=14.2;     //Holder width

Relwd=55;     //distance between spool sides
                //61 or 55 mm

Sphdlen=128;  //length of spool holder

Const=15;       //Constant for Cubes

Blkht=10;       //Height of Block

Thns=2;         //Thickness of sides and stand

// End Variables***************

Endpiece();

rotate([0,0,180])
translate([-(Relwd+Sphdwd+Const),-(Sphdlen+Const),0])
Endpiece();

//Side Pieces

cube([Thns,(Const)+Sphdlen,Blkht]);

translate([Relwd+Sphdwd+Const,0,0])

//Centre brace

translate([((Relwd+Sphdwd+Const)/2)-(Blkht/2),0,Thns])
rotate([0,90,0])

//Add descriptive Text

if (Relwd==61)
{
    translate([(Relwd+Sphdwd+Const)/2,2,Blkht])
    linear_extrude(Thns)
    text("61 mm",halign="center",size=8);
}
if (Relwd==55)
{
    translate([(Relwd+Sphdwd+Const)/2,2,Blkht])
    linear_extrude(Thns)
    text("55 mm",halign="center",size=8);
}    

//Basic shape module

module Endpiece()
{
    difference()
    {
    translate([0,0,0])
    cube([Relwd+Sphdwd+Const,Const,Blkht]);

translate([Const/2,Const/2,Thns])
        cube([Sphdwd,Const,Blkht]);

translate([Relwd+(Const/2),Const/2,Thns])
        cube([Sphdwd,Const,Blkht]);

} 
}

As you can see I used a lot of variables but the only one that needs changing for different spool sizes is this one:

Relwd=55;     //distance between spool sides
                     //61 or 55 mm

BTW normally the 0.5kg spool fits inside the printer case (I believe it is to reduce the footprint of the printer) but the 1kg spools are too big and too wide.

Clever stuff - I like the idea of using your 3D Printer to make accessories for the Printer to make it work better for you - that’s neat!

I’m quite fascinated by the idea of 3D printers and some of the things I’ve seen online that people have made are amazing - I wouldn’t have a clue where to start but I’m interested to see what other people can do with them.

Thanks for sharing details and pics of your project.

Very inventive @Bruce , what a great idea… :+1:

When I was younger I was a good welder with both oxy and arc, these days it is all mig which was out of reach back then but I did enjoy it as a hobby. I thought about restarting and did a practice weld and while I was rusty (pun?) it wasn’t bad, the only problem was that it was about a centimetre from the join in the metal. my eyes aren’t up to it…

My son suggested me getting a 3 D Printer ages ago and frankly I thought, “Yeah right” but when I found how relatively cheap it was and I could also learn a scripting program language I warmed to the idea.

Now I have had it a little while I am very much enjoying it as a hobby. I am confident that I will not be turning it into a money earner as some people do but there you go, it is just a lot of fun.

The coding side is really interesting, as practice I design things which I will never print out and even add embellishments (like the writing above) just because I can. :smile:

I was browsing Thingiverse and someone else had a similar idea to hold the spool holders steady, Their idea would take a lot less time to print but I think mine is sturdier and more stable.

A slight improvement to my script in post #1

I had wondered if it was possible to convert a variable to text and hadn’t worked out how to do it - so in the line as quoted you had to manually change the text it printed which was really annoying as the value was already in the variable “Relwd” but I am still learning OpenScad

I stumbled across the answer today and as it happens it is virtually the same as the VBA script - so obvious really.

Just changed the line as quoted above to:

text(str(Relwd," mm"),halign="center",size=8);

So easy when you know how!

1 Like