Wrong Fuel in Car

Never but I have ran my car so out of gas that it was running on fumes. When I finally got to the gas station I had a really hard time filling it up. The pump kept shutting off on me before it was filled. The gas attendant said it was due to emptying the tank too much.

Thanks for posting that. Putting the wrong fuel in the car is not a thing here. All of the hose pipes from the pump are all interchangeable for different grades of fuel, but all can be used fine for cars. Must be a hassle to have to check.

1 Like

Get sticker and write on it either Diesel or Petrol which ever you need in felt tip pen. Then stick it inside the wee door that covers the fuel cap. It will be there each time you fill up and you won’t go wrong. That’s what I do if I change between the two fuels when I get a new car.

1 Like

Good idea,Rox,I will do that.:grin:

1 Like

I remember when unleaded petrol started being used here in the UK driving one car, I think it must have been a company car, that had stickers on the wing next to the filler and on the visor inside the car in white with green writing saying something like “unleaded only”.
That was in the days before cars commonly had a flap covering the filler cap.
And now I feel old.
:rofl:

1 Like

I have never incorrectly fueled a vehicle. I do not understand why, in this day and age, people make this mistake. To me it’s obvious. If you are driving a petrol engined car, you fill up from the pistol that is coloured GREEN, if diesel then you use the BLACK hose for God’s sake. It’s so simple.

A story from the 1970s. A friend of mine in the village where I lived had a diesel Bedford van. One day, at the village garage, he filled up with what he thought was diesel (it was the correct pump - it was separate from the 2 petrol pumps). Two mile or so down the road the engine stopped and wouldn’t start. It turned out that the fuel wholesaler had put petrol into the garage’s diesel storage tank. 6 vehicles were affected before the error was discovered.

1 Like