Wrong Fuel in Car

It was definitely green, unleaded petrol, then you can use the supreme one,

The first two are black, which are diesel, the next are green.

Some people are in such a rush, I bet mistakes are made, could be an expensive mistake.:open_mouth:

1 Like

I did once - gasoline instead of Diesel. I went back home, just a mile or so, and called a breakdown truck. He emptied the tank to the best of his ability, put in a few litres in the correct fuel, and sent me off to the garage to get a fuel of the right stuff.

That was a very expensive mistake!

2 Likes

Oh dear,:open_mouth:

I check then check again, Iā€™m getting paranoid over it,:open_mouth:

1 Like

Nope, itā€™s technically not possible if you have a car running on petrol as I have because the diesel nozzle is larger than the petrol one. So itā€™s a potential problem for diesel car owners only.

1 Like

Oh ,well I never, thanks for that Dachs,I will check the nozzle next time I fill up, it makes sense to have the nozzle much bigger for a diesel car.but as you say itā€™s a potential problem for diesel cars.filling up with petrol,:open_mouth:

1 Like

From my limited undertanding it depends upon whether or not you have as much as started the car, because once the wrong fuel gets into fuel lines and beyond it means trouble.
Like Chillie6 said, I would leave it to those that know what theyā€™re doing.

Dachs is right too but back in the 1990ā€™s it wasnā€™t a problem because very few people used diesel as a fuel for cars, so itā€™s a relatively recent problem that it is said happens between 130 and 150 thousand times per year here in the UK.
:grimacing:

4 Likes

I put diesel in my car probably when in my 20s. At the time they still had leaded fuel. I didnā€™t look at the labels because leaded always had a blue handle. For some reason this garage put a blue handle on diesel. I drove about half a mile before my car started making terrible noises and I had to call roadside rescue. I only realised what had happened when I checked the receipt. Luckily a garage drained it and it was ok again. I was told that had it been petrol put into a diesel vehicle then it would have been on the scrapheap.

1 Like

I did slip up once and when ultra low on diesel picked up a gallon of paraffin that I thought was diesel and it didnā€™t seem make make difference, but I did fill up with diesel as soon as I reached the pumps.

1 Like

You were lucky Annie, and yes my son said the same about putting petrol into diesel.:open_mouth:

I double check each time I fill up . I look at the line then at the nozzle and re read Iā€™m putting in unleaded .

A friend filled up with wrong petrol it cost a lot to get the car collected and cleared out .

I am cautious because Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ll make a mistake

1 Like

No, never filled the wrong fuel but I did run outta fuel once about 2kms from my office - held up peak traffic!

Thankfully I could phone a friend at the office and he brought me some petrolā€¦

:009:

I havenā€™t and I would have thought it was difficult if not impossible to put a diesel nozzle in an unleaded car tank because of the difference in size. Of course that does mean it is quite possible to put an unleaded nozzle into a diesel tank.

Apparently it is worse putting petrol in a diesel than the other way round because diesel pumps, valves etc rely on the lubricating qualities of diesel fuel

They are or were the same size here Bruce. Maybe there are different sizes for trucks.

When we went from leaded to unleaded fuel (about 1990 to 2001), they changed the nozzle to a smaller one so you could only use unleaded fuel in cars that were designed for it because the entry in the car tank was too small. Now that there is only unleaded fuel there are the two different nozzles for petrol and diesel

Never but I have ran my car so out of gas that it was running on fumes. When I finally got to the gas station I had a really hard time filling it up. The pump kept shutting off on me before it was filled. The gas attendant said it was due to emptying the tank too much.

Thanks for posting that. Putting the wrong fuel in the car is not a thing here. All of the hose pipes from the pump are all interchangeable for different grades of fuel, but all can be used fine for cars. Must be a hassle to have to check.

1 Like

Get sticker and write on it either Diesel or Petrol which ever you need in felt tip pen. Then stick it inside the wee door that covers the fuel cap. It will be there each time you fill up and you wonā€™t go wrong. Thatā€™s what I do if I change between the two fuels when I get a new car.

1 Like

Good idea,Rox,I will do that.:grin:

1 Like

I remember when unleaded petrol started being used here in the UK driving one car, I think it must have been a company car, that had stickers on the wing next to the filler and on the visor inside the car in white with green writing saying something like ā€œunleaded onlyā€.
That was in the days before cars commonly had a flap covering the filler cap.
And now I feel old.
:rofl:

1 Like

I have never incorrectly fueled a vehicle. I do not understand why, in this day and age, people make this mistake. To me itā€™s obvious. If you are driving a petrol engined car, you fill up from the pistol that is coloured GREEN, if diesel then you use the BLACK hose for Godā€™s sake. Itā€™s so simple.

A story from the 1970s. A friend of mine in the village where I lived had a diesel Bedford van. One day, at the village garage, he filled up with what he thought was diesel (it was the correct pump - it was separate from the 2 petrol pumps). Two mile or so down the road the engine stopped and wouldnā€™t start. It turned out that the fuel wholesaler had put petrol into the garageā€™s diesel storage tank. 6 vehicles were affected before the error was discovered.

1 Like