Wrinkly Rock Stars and Pop Stars?

Now I know we all love ‘em because they remind us of our youth and being young😜

But do you think some of the Boomer rock and pop stars should call it a day?

They are starting to look so old it’s like a zombie movie!

I saw Leo Sayer on the news this morning and it’s sad to see how old he’s got. Bob Dylan’s voice has got so low and gravelly it’s hard to listen to and he looks like and old lady! And my favourite when I was young, Iggy Pop, is still going and Gawd knows how he’s still alive.

On on New Year’s Eve on TV, New Year’s Eve little Olly Alexander looked as if he was at his grandparents anniversary bash standing by Kylie and the Pet Shop Old Boys.

No disrespect, I love them all, they have been fantastic but seeing them get old makes me feel ancient.

Do you think they should move over and make way for the youngsters now?

2 Likes

Well the thing is…they love music. Their argument would be “why should we give up something we love - its been a lifetimes work”

but

I do see your argument, Maree, and I do think they could turn their talents into nurturing the younger ones and passing on hints, tips, and tricks, to them, instead of still trying to make lots of money based on past success.

2 Likes

Yes, I just think maybe they should see it might be time to move over and pass on the baton, no one can keep going for ever.

And sometimes seeing them trying to is a bit embarrassing and tragic. I’d rather remember them as they were. I loved and appreciated all their music, happy memories.

But it must be a bit tedious for the youngsters seeing them trotted out all the time, like your grandad showing up at your night club!

2 Likes

Time was when rock stars had the decency to live fast and die young … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Oh good grief…the visions! :scream:

Yes, wasn’t there a “27” club or something whereby some rock stars died tragically young?

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard about it but here it is:

Everyone on this list will never turn 28 – they will be forever 27.

1 Like

That’s the one…so sad. :frowning_face:

I was in love with PJ Proby when young and a while back went to see him live at the local theatre his voice was fantastic yet he was an old man. his performance for almost 2 hours was brilliant and when i shut my eyes i was 17 again . during one song he dropped the microphone and made out he couldnt get down to pick it up the place was roaring with laughter eventually a member of staff went on stage to pick it up .

he was fantastic and i felt young again and knew all the words

1 Like

It doesn’t really bother me, whether they perform or not…they still have a great audience/ fans waiting in the wings,:smiley:

I’m.a great Rod Stewart fan but having seen a couple of his live performances on TV lately I wish he would call it a day…its sad to see him not at his best.

That’s nice, it’s all about memories, isn’t it? I’m glad it was special for you. And I can understand fans from when they were in their prime wanting to hear these stars again.

But I’m not sure young people do!

When I was young I was a massive Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel fan. Went to his concerts, hung out round the stage door trying to see him, fancied him like crazy

Anyway, a few years ago he appeared at a local theatre in a seaside town near me

And I just couldn’t bear to go! I didn’t want to see him old and faded and wanted to remember him as the vibrant beautiful man he used to be

But perhaps I was wrong going on how it was for you seeing an old favourite

If they can still do it and produce new music then why not?
However, if they are just rehashing their old hits with varying accuracy and are little more than their own tribute band, I suppose if they get an audience, good luck to them but it is a sad spectacle.

2 Likes

I’ve got mixed feelings about this.
I think sometimes it just doesn’t ‘look right’ seeing an elderly singer from the past, gyrating and trying to look 21 again - like Madonna for example - at 63, still flashing her boobs and her fish net stockings.

In all fairness though, some seem to get away with it better than others, especially if their voice is still good. I have just never been keen on any older people, male or female, trying to look and act like a teenager. It puts me right off.

No they shouldn’t, if they still have the voice why should they?
They like doing it so why give up and they’re a lot better than the younger ones of today, the young ones always use auto tune or pitch correction.