Wrestling! Were you a fan?

I have never been a fan of wrestling.

On saying that, I religiously watched Hulk Hogan and his family show, which aired years ago, from what I saw of him on the shows, he was a lovely man, very protective over his daughter he was, she’s absolutely gorgeous, sadly,I think his wife, Linda, ( who is also gorgeous) I think her name was, they broke up a long time ago…that’s about it.as far as wrestling goes.:grinning:

My Great Aunt used to love wrestling and I remember having to sit through many an uncomfortable wrestling match on TV.

When I was a young teenager, I used to go to her house every weekend to do her shopping and help her with housework and laundry.
Great Auntie used to loved to settle down with a bag of sweets and watch the wrestling on TV on Saturday afternoons.
I hated it and averted my eyes as much as possible when it was on - but I couldn’t avoid hearing that horrible sound of bodies slamming onto the floor of the wrestling ring and all the grunts of the fight. I just couldn’t see why anyone enjoyed seeing people physically fighting, even if it was all stage-managed “theatre” to make it look more painful than it was.
I thought the wrestlers were grotesque. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

1 Like

Kent Walton was the only one I remember. I used to watch World of Sport with my gran on Saturday afternoons. She used to boo at Mick McManus and Jim Breaks. She loved Big Daddy and Les Kellett, who used to make her laugh with his antics.

1 Like

My local Assembly Hall by the town hall used to hold the matches. I remember going to one or two.

Didn’t we used to chant ‘Easy, easy, easy…’ as one made his way to the ring?

There was a masked one also Kenco Nagasinki or summat like that.

1 Like

yes I remember Ken Walton , and I use to watch it as a child on a Saturday with my dad , my body would duck and sway as the moves were played out , And there was great excitement when a Tag Match came on . I remember seeing the old ladies hitting Mick Mcmanus with their Handbags .

Of course looking back it was all staged managed ,When the Guy with the Black Mask came in the ring the other wrestler would try to de mask him , because he was such a Mystery man , I think it only happened once …

1 Like

John Lagey (20 April 1920 – 19 January 1994), better known by his ring name Johnny Kwango. Kwango wrestled from the late 1940s to the 1980s, and was famous for his head-butt moves.

Lagey was a ballet dancer in Les Ballets Nègres, the first all-black dance company in Europe. He. was an accomplished drummer and pianist, playing in various nightclubs in London with his brother, Cyril.

1 Like

When Les was in the ring the referee usually landed on the canvas at some point.

1 Like

Yes, my dad loved wrestling and he got us interesting at a young age. He’d take 4 little girls with him to Westridge Park once a month. The atmosphere was awesome. Lovely memories of my dad :blush:.

Of course I watched WWE. The Undertaker and John Cena were my favourites. Yes, I know it’s fake.

Afrikaans language video

1 Like

Not a fan of the old British shows but WWE can be entertaining as long as you don’t take it seriously.Stone Cold Steve Austin ,The Rock ,etc were in their prime when I really took an interest.

2 Likes

In the mid to late 80’s I lived for wrestling. Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat was my favorite wrestler.

1 Like

Yes and Batista :smiley:

Sorry don’t know him.Most of my watching was in the 90’s.

1 Like

When I teenager I went to wrestling in Minehead Butlins and Bournemouth Town Hall
As choreographed entertainment it was really enjoyable.
And in the eighties S4C used to show Welsh wrestling.
I remember one female wrestler going completely off script and battering the referee.
That definitely wasn’t staged.
The referee was clearly upset…although since it was broadcast perhaps it was!
Look up ‘Wreslo’.
There may be something on you tube.
My one grandmother looked forward to 4pm on a Saturday and I reckon the other would have been handy with her handbag( she came with me to the wrestling in Butlins).

1 Like

My mum used to love it.

Never been a fan myself…

At the end of the ITV World of Sport section, how many of you recall watching that electric typewriter tap out the fottball results?

2 Likes

Certainly do, my grandfather used to watch as he checked his football pools.
Serious stuff!

1 Like

My ex husband’s aunt loved Wrestling and used to go to see Jackie Pallo wherever he was appearing. She even had one of his velvet ribbons from his ponytail that she treasured!!

My dad liked watching the Wrestling… l remember Mick McManus and Billy Two Rivers.

I knew Banger Walsh. He went to my school. He died recently. He had bad Dementia.

1 Like

Kendo Negasaki (like the town in Japan).

2 Likes

Me and my daughter’s ex-partner went to see WWE at the NEC Birmingham. Showmanship but it was first class. Mick Foley jumped from the 4th tier of seats into the ring and knocked out Jake the Snake. Ambulances and medics were called. We were told he was on his way to hospital. Funny thing was, when we were leaving we saw Foley and Jake laughing together and boarding the WWE exhibition coach.

2 Likes