Wrestling! Were you a fan?

I don’t know how they got me to say yes but went to the wresting with the old girls last night :rofl:

We had a couple of cocktails beforehand so we’ll giggly and it was a laugh. All blatantly fake of course

One of them was Giant Haystacks grandson

Did you used to watch it on TV on Saturdays? My granny used to love it, especially Big Daddy!

Yep. Regular date with it on ITV. Trying to remember names of commentators…am sure one was Fred Dineage.

1 Like

Jackie pallow, giant haystacks , big daddy, are the only ones I remember, but yes, used to watch wrestling on a Saturday afternoon with my dad,

1 Like

I used to watch Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, and when WWF was popular, I used to watch it with the kids sometimes. I don’t think I would be able to watch it in real life though…it might be fake and exaggerated, but it looks bloomin’ sore! :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

I worked in a cinema as usherette and Saturdays was wrestling and I often saw big daddy and giant haystacks. Huge men throwing each other around yet never got hurt . Very clever sport

1 Like

Steve Logan, Jackie Pallo and Les Kellet are the ones I remember.

1 Like

I used to watch it only because my parents had it on.
Couldnr srand it then and still cant stand it.

1 Like

Billy Two Rivers:

After retiring from wrestling, he became a leader of the Mohawk nation on the Kahnawake reservation. He played a major role in blockading the Honoré Mercier Bridge during the 1990 Oka Crisis. He has also appeared in several movies.

Always a favourite in the UK … :+1:

1 Like

I wasn’t a fan but when I worked for TCN9 in Sydney we used to broadcast wrestling.

The Australian Channel 9 show World Championship Wrestling featured unlikely looking (and oddly named) stars such as Killer Kowalski, Mario Milano (the original Italian Stallion – real name Mario Bulfone), Spiros Arion and Abdullah The Butcher.

I was involved because sometimes it was an outside broadcast from the old Sydney Stadium it was all fake and included gimmicks like a barbed wire enclosed ring. When the stars were interviewed they always had a band aid on their forehead from being thrown against the barbed wire.

When it was done in the studio it was even more ridiculous with the ring jammed into a corner of the studio and the audience almost sitting with the commentators but that was Australian TV in the 1960s and 70s

1 Like

BRITISH STAR BERT ROYAL DIES

Aug 20, 2022

In Sportsviewers Guide Wrestling, author Peter Bills noted how different Royal was at the time: “Bert Royal was one of the first of a new generation of stars to shatter the popular idea that wrestlers had to be pot-bellied, cauliflower-eared individuals who were ready to wade into anyone at the slightest provocation.”

By 1958, he would win the European Middleweight title, a belt he would hold several times. In This Grappling Game, famed announcer Kent Walton wrote that Royal “is, at his weight and as a solo performer, one of the finest wrestlers in the world. A fanatic for personal fitness, he neither smokes nor drinks. His favourite hold? The flying head-scissors, but believe me, he knows them all.”

My dad used to watch it, back in the 60s

The name Mick McManus springs to mind (and Jackie Pallo, now you mention it)

No but when I was first married there was a little old lady lived 2 doors away and she was a massive wrestling fan.

She was white haired, round and looked like Mrs Tiggywinkle in Beatrix Potter tales. You would not dare go near her cottage when she was watching the wrestling as nothing would stop her but you could hear her shouting and clapping as you went past.

Wrestlers turned actors:

I have never been a fan of wrestling.

On saying that, I religiously watched Hulk Hogan and his family show, which aired years ago, from what I saw of him on the shows, he was a lovely man, very protective over his daughter he was, she’s absolutely gorgeous, sadly,I think his wife, Linda, ( who is also gorgeous) I think her name was, they broke up a long time ago…that’s about it.as far as wrestling goes.:grinning:

My Great Aunt used to love wrestling and I remember having to sit through many an uncomfortable wrestling match on TV.

When I was a young teenager, I used to go to her house every weekend to do her shopping and help her with housework and laundry.
Great Auntie used to loved to settle down with a bag of sweets and watch the wrestling on TV on Saturday afternoons.
I hated it and averted my eyes as much as possible when it was on - but I couldn’t avoid hearing that horrible sound of bodies slamming onto the floor of the wrestling ring and all the grunts of the fight. I just couldn’t see why anyone enjoyed seeing people physically fighting, even if it was all stage-managed “theatre” to make it look more painful than it was.
I thought the wrestlers were grotesque. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.

1 Like

Kent Walton was the only one I remember. I used to watch World of Sport with my gran on Saturday afternoons. She used to boo at Mick McManus and Jim Breaks. She loved Big Daddy and Les Kellett, who used to make her laugh with his antics.

1 Like

My local Assembly Hall by the town hall used to hold the matches. I remember going to one or two.

Didn’t we used to chant ‘Easy, easy, easy…’ as one made his way to the ring?

There was a masked one also Kenco Nagasinki or summat like that.

1 Like

yes I remember Ken Walton , and I use to watch it as a child on a Saturday with my dad , my body would duck and sway as the moves were played out , And there was great excitement when a Tag Match came on . I remember seeing the old ladies hitting Mick Mcmanus with their Handbags .

Of course looking back it was all staged managed ,When the Guy with the Black Mask came in the ring the other wrestler would try to de mask him , because he was such a Mystery man , I think it only happened once …

1 Like

John Lagey (20 April 1920 – 19 January 1994), better known by his ring name Johnny Kwango. Kwango wrestled from the late 1940s to the 1980s, and was famous for his head-butt moves.

Lagey was a ballet dancer in Les Ballets Nègres, the first all-black dance company in Europe. He. was an accomplished drummer and pianist, playing in various nightclubs in London with his brother, Cyril.

1 Like