Would your life have been better or worse if computers hadn't caught on?

With so many people trying to walk away from social media and the internet, I wonder how they would do without it entirely. Most people here remember a time when computers didn’t exist in the form they are today.

Computers have connected people in ways that they might not have found each other before. But some people say that the internet has left us more disconnected than ever.

Do you think your life would have been better or worse if computers didn’t exist as they do today? If most people didn’t own a computer and couldn’t connect with people around the globe, would that have made life better or worse?

During the Second World War, the allies’ key objective was to crack the German army’s encrypted communications code. Without a doubt, the key player in this game was Alan Turing, an interdisciplinary scientist and a long-forgotten hero.

Mine would have been the same, day to day manage to do things as I have always done. Luddite forever! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Much better although we would have the same advantages of other people on the whole.

1 Like

My life would definitely have been poorer and I deeply regret that I didn’t have a computer when I was younger like today’s youngsters have. Also as a senior I thoroughly enjoy using my notebook. I notice that the generation before me is more often bored and isolated since they can’t use a pc and is deprived of many chances in life just because of that.

1 Like

Without doubt poorer, computers have enriched my world and expanded my mind in so many ways I can’t imagine a life condemned to the way things were before

And I like cat memes :rofl:

1 Like

Worse.I’d still be in the UK

1 Like

I don’t think that it would have mattered to me if i didn’t have one, but hubby is into computers and worked with them with his job. So if i had never married him it wouldn’t have mattered much.
It’s made my life better at the moment.

1 Like

Computers were the next link in the progressive chain for the human race. They just had to be discovered, just like the next big thing that will inevitably come along. Whatever that might be.
To some people they are the best thing since sliced bread, but to others they are a carbuncle on humanity.
Whether you like them or not, life will never be the same again because these things are bigger than the individual, they are global and unstopable…

1 Like

All you techno worshippers, don’t moan when AI does its own thing. :laughing:

1 Like

If yer still here :icon_wink:

1 Like

Could that be the ‘next big thing’ that I mentioned Spitty?
Progress can only go so far and then the regression starts…

Probably Foxy

Dabblers bringing things to a conclusion, this has to be a construct!

That will come eventually, but not in my lifetime, it will be like the film called terminator.

@butterscotch Probably about the same either way, although the internet did expedite the placement of a Ukrainian Jewish widow in my home and her replacement when she remarried and move onwards. IMO it has its advantages and equally it’s disadvantages.

2 Likes

Don’t they want dabblers anywhere in the world to take over?