Would you rather lose all of your money and valuables or all your family photos?

I would rather lose my family photos. I remember them all very clearly and don’t need the photos.

3 Likes

Photos are the past, money is the future.

I don’t need photos to remind me of the past, I’ve got a vivid memory, the past is a part of me, my make up, my personality.

As a keen amateur photographer, I always remember what Vivian Maier said, as an old woman, when asked, “What is your best photograph?”, she replied, “I don’t know, I haven’t taken it yet”.

3 Likes

Years ago the majority of my photos got eaten or damaged by rats while in storage …it’s sad but I don’t really miss them.

2 Likes

Photographs jog the memory, allowing for poignant reminiscences.
We can get by without them.

1 Like

I would rather lose all of my money. I can always earn more money in many ways.

But when the photos are gone, you can’t replace the time, event or visuals. I love my photo albums, and memories.

3 Likes

It would be a sad loss to lose all my photos but I would hate to lose all my results sheets, running journals, and cups, medals and other running memorabilia. I might have to reconsider my decision to keep the money… :thinking:

2 Likes

Awwww. >> Loosing Photos.Has been one of my greatest regrets & embarrassment.
Travel more sea miles than Columbus. More countries than Marco Polo…
Topping 500 photos. On “Cellulose Card framed Slides”. Neatly filed in metal boxes.
Had an occasion to store them, in the FE. for a year.
Retrieved, for an organised showing, circa 20 guests.
Only to discover. Combo of heat, humidity & rust. Had Ruined All.
“Egg on Face”. So much for NOT Showing Off.

5 Likes

At this point in time, photos mean a lot to me. This is a hard question. I would try and compromise and give up some money and valuables. :smiley:

1 Like

No, no, no. The question was all your money or photos :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Haha, coming to an age where I color outside the lines quite a bit, use to people telling me no, so anything resulting from following rules 1 and 2, where it worked, bonus.

2 Likes

It not a subject I would choose to debate.

2 Likes

This is a tough question, it would be easy to make a “Snap” decision

4 Likes

Often finding myself in tears when reminiscing over past family memories …

3 Likes

I’d be in tears if I couldn’t pay my bills and got chucked out of my house…
Bugger the photos…
:disguised_face:

2 Likes

Well you could give it a shot.

1 Like

Case Opinion, of loosing otherwise incidental Photos.
At First Glance.
The OT. appears as a casual Yes or No. Made up of three elements.
Money, Valuables Photos. Digesting it, is deeper that casual.
Largely dependant on individual Priorities.
Money. Clearly a Priority. In the less than likely event of loosing ALL.
Bank Liability thresholds, Insurance, Re Earning, Downsizing etc. Reinstating.
Valuables. Which Photos surely are one. Why else do we take them. Hereditary and Investment valuables. Certainly an undesired, often irreplaceable loss. But not Lifestyle impinging.
Photos. Taken as Time Honoured Visual Memories. Otherwise individually mentally imbedded. In the taking off.
But on loss. Unshared with those less fortunate, yet have interest in a fast changing world.
Example. Discuss and portray, with tertiary minded Millennials.
Timelines. Development, Social, Political & Infrastructure change. Of say. Ceylon, Bombay, Formosa Tanganyika or SWA. et al. Without Visual, personal evidence. Meaningless & Inconceivable, to those being shared with.
True. Available on such as Wiki, Libraries Museums & Contemporary Travel productions.
But devoid of living memory ‘Atmosphere & Attitude’.
Totally Irreplaceable. And would rather be able to keep them.

2 Likes

Photos are for memories and the latter can never be erased from heart and /or mind.
So a no brainer, I rather lose photos.
Money is needed for the welfare of all.
And often the fruit of a life of hard work for the family’s future and well being…

3 Likes

Brilliant analysis QES… :+1:

2 Likes

@Bretrick Photos and money are all material possessions, but precious memories cannot be stolen by fire etc; so, although photos are good to own, my memories are what I need to get me through my remaining days👍

5 Likes

Shure we have OUR Unique Memories. And Everything, Sensed in a lifetime.
Each and All. Stored in only. ‘10%’ of that available. In the most active mind. Some readily retrieved. Others using Alpha metrics.
Curiously enough,.The more we age. Recalling events & specifics of Yesteryear. More readily than events & detail. Of the Here and Now.
So what are Memories.
Unless we Utilise and Share, when the occasion occurs.
The frequency here being. Maintaining dialogue and narratives, with vibrant Tens and Twenties. Google & their SM. & Celebrities sic. Travel Blogs et al.
Potentially Influencing, what wasn’t as Accurate. & Vice Versa.
Ones own Spoken Word, argued and similarly unevidenced.
A vintage. [Pre AI.!] Photo. Actual & ‘Irrefutable’ . If not lost.

1 Like