Would you rather live on the mountains or near the ocean?

When I was young and people asked me if I wanted to live in the mountains or near the ocean, I’d always say that I wanted to live on a mountain overlooking the ocean.

But if I had to pick one, I’d rather live on a mountain. Less prone to flooding. I like visiting the ocean but living on the edge of the ocean has its own problems - salt damage and all.

Would you rather live on a mountain or near the ocean?

1 Like

I reside close to the sea now and I’ll finish my days exactly where I am. I used to live as close to the water’s edge as possible, but constantly battling the fierce direct costal gales forced me to move lock, stock and barrel inland a crow flown mile. Would I consider a mountainous location? I’m too old to cope with cold and heavy snow, so the low lands for me. My location returns the highest sun hours in the UK, so what’s not to like about finishing my days here soaking up the warmth on offer :sun_with_face::+1:

3 Likes

I always wanted to live in the Countryside, done that, now by the sea.

3 Likes

Coastal certainly…still haven’t given up on taking that RIB course!

2 Likes

I grew up next to water, not an ocean but the English Channel and as a child/teenager spent as much time in the water as I could.

Now I live within a few minutes drive of the Pacific Ocean or Lake Illawarra but I much prefer the inland. I can’t say mountains as this is the flatest continent on the planet (The highest mountain is something like 2200 metres and you used to be able to drive a car up it.) but as Dorothea Mackellar said:

I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror –
The wide brown land for me!

2 Likes

This is the hills where I lived in Angus.

A bit remote but I liked it.

5 Likes

Assuming that it’s a choice between two locations (mountains or sea) while leaving more recent risks caused by climate change aside, I’d clearly be in favour of living by the sea.
If those climate-related risks are to be taken into account, I still prefer living near the ocean/sea while making sure it’s high enough above sea level. Living in the mountains, no matter if it’s on a mountain or in the valley, is also risky nowadays as can be seen in the Alpine countries.

2 Likes

Ocean. I don’t like heights and mountain areas are always colder

2 Likes

The ocean :ocean:

2 Likes

The ocean all day long.
I never get fed up of looking at the sea, well ,water of any kind suits me tbh.
I would love to live next to a waterfall too.

2 Likes

Does The Solent count?

3 Likes

I can`t see why not Chilliboot.

1 Like

I live by sea the Solent.
Wouldn’t want to live anywhere else .

4 Likes

Near the sea but on a hill.

4 Likes

Both which is what we have. It’s not a huge mountain but high enough.

2 Likes

When I’m up north at my partners farm I’m living right beside the ocean, I miss it like mad when I’m down in Perth at my house.

2 Likes

I would love to live close to the sea but not too close.

We live about 20 miles from the sea but I would like to be closer to be able to breathe in the wonderful ozone every day.

To my east a lake is within walking distance, the Pacific Ocean is about 10km away, to my west the Indian Ocean about 4000km and the Great Australian Bight is about 2000km.

In fact I am surrounded by jewelled seas.

I bet you have a small boat.

Mountains :003:

Beaches are way too touristy for me, although Merthyr Mawr is quite nice as you can walk through the sand dunes in relative peace as most people are too lazy :lol:

I would love to live in the middle or on the edge of any of the national parks here in Wales :049:

1 Like