Would you rather be able to travel back in time or forward in time?

Back, to when life was simpler, slower, and no Internet so people talked, did things together, kids played outside, and no migrants pouring into the country.

3 Likes

The time period you speak of is my childhood in the 70s and 80s! :orange_heart: And you are right - the world was a lot calmer and people actually spoke to each other in person and spent time together. As a child, I knew nothing of the actual horrors that existed in the world; I never remember seeing ugliness in people or violence or anything negative like that. I just remember having the best time of my life with my parents taking very good care of me and my sisters and brother, my teachers instructing me with care and playing all day with my friends and my toys. :baby: :teddy_bear:

Okay…so, after pondering your post and my response to it, I will make a modification to my original post about this thread: I would like to go to the 70s and 80s first, before I go way back in time to the creation of the universe lol

4 Likes

It would be interesting to see the future and the far distant future out of curiosity. But I guess I would like to be able to go back in time to specific times in my life and if possible make a number of changes and alternative decisions and see where what direction these changes cause in my life and their eventual outcomes, assuming whatever you do does not cause a paradox with yourself.

2 Likes

I would opt for travelling into the future as the past is history that cannot be changed.

1 Like

Hmm… Ok… but actually can the future really be changed or are we already on an as yet unrecognised preordained path anyway - despite what we may think at any one moment in time ? :thinking::thinking:

I’d go forward … to see if we’re still here

What if you find Nothingness?

1 Like

Well then I’d know humanity had gone … ever so briefly.

Its not good to know.

1 Like

It’s not . .it crushes the life out of the eternal optimist

1 Like

Quite so.

1 Like

Actually I remember a workmate telling me about a film he had seen. It was from the sixties or seventies I think. Anyway, the story was of a man who somehow had the opportunity to return to the past and tinker with his life with the good intentions of improving the person he was back in the present.

Apparently the consequences were harrowing! The lead was a very well known actor but frustratingly I can’t remember who it was or indeed film.

Maybe I should go back in time to work and ask my buddy to refresh my memory…not! :mantelpiece_clock::arrow_left::anguished:

2 Likes

This isn’t a film but it has the same theme. On Star Trek The Next Generation in an episode called Tapestry, Picard got stabbed in the heart. An alien called Q told him that if he could go back to the past and change the course of events, he could avoid dying in the present. He had an artificial heart that was malfunctioning. He needed a new heart because he was stabbed in the past.

Picard went back and avoided the stabbing. Picard then went on to lead a dull and boring existence at a very low level because his cautious nature wouldn’t allow him to take the risks that made him a Captain of a starship.

Q let him live, but it was a lesson for him in how changing the past can change the future in way that people hadn’t considered.

It’s one of my favorite episodes.

3 Likes

I miss when things were a lot simple. When I was younger I called people on the phone or went to visit. This new age everyone seem to be isolated with their gadgets.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Isn’t that the irony, at least to some extent, all the devices and technology that’s supposed to liberate us and put us in touch with others?

2 Likes

I would travel back to the 60s and 70s. It was a time of security, counting on routine daily and weekly, seasonal events, always with family around.
I wouldn’t change a thing, no regrets, but truly appreciate what an amazing opportunity to become whatever I wanted to be, wherever I wanted to be, with freedoms and security we no longer can take for granted.

3 Likes

Oh so true Ann. :unamused:

It might be good to go back, and not cause all the self inflicted complications but, then again, that would not be so much FUN

Oh no. I was thinking along the lines of what future stocks will take off for my family investments :+1:

Definitely back in time to tell myself go into the USAF at 18, not 22 and NEVER get married.

4 Likes