Would you eat Indian food with your bare hands?

I’ve been watching David Chang’s show Ugly Delicious. He has an episode on Indian food. He talks about how Indian food that is popularized is so different from the food that people in India and people from India eat. He visited some of his friends’ houses who are from India. They eat with their hands, so he did too.

It didn’t look at easy as it sounds. Getting the soupy foods with the rice or the bread in one bite was a challenge. His friends were teaching him the technique, something about pushing first.

If you went to a friend’s house who was from India and ate their food in the way that people in India do, would you join in and eat the food with your bare hands?

2 Likes

?

Always, why would you eat a curry with anything but a chapatti , nan or similar?

4 Likes

So you’re scooping up the curry with the bread? Have you ever run out of bread before you ran out of curry?

Yes.
It’s the best way to eat Indian food.

I spent 3 weeks hiking from village to village on the Indian side of the Himalayan foothills. Every village I stayed in had a few guest huts and the villagers prepared the most fabulous food for us (a big plus for me was that the whole area is vegetarian - no animal slaughter is allowed in that region - so I was happy to try every single dish placed before me)

We never used cutlery - one of the things I love about eating Indian food with my fingers is that the delicious fragrance of the spices lingers on your fingers long after the meal. It must get into the pores of the skin because, even after several handwashes, I could often smell the delicious scent of last night’s curry on my fingers the next morning!

2 Likes

Of course, it would be the a brilliant authentic experience and incredibly rude not to

Right hand only, I think?

3 Likes

Absolutely yes :slightly_smiling_face:. Similarly with Asian friends.

2 Likes

Yup, and we won’t say why eh Maree ? :wink:

1 Like

@Boot, you have the most amazingly interesting stories. As they say, you should write a book.

1 Like

:icon_confused: Do your Asian friends eat with their hands? I thought most Asian people ate with chopsticks. Or do you mean you’d do as they do?

That’s a comment that David Chang made. He said he would laugh at people who couldn’t eat with chopsticks since he grew up eating with them, but he had a difficult time eating with his hands. He thought that his Indian friends must be laughing at him on the inside.

1 Like

No,ir`s their tradition not mine, I watched Rick Stein do it and he was struggling to eat.
I dont mean to sound rude by the way.

1 Like

Exactly … :+1:

1 Like

No there is always a tendency to over order the breads :slight_smile:

You can scoop but often its tear drop and pinch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be eating the bread, so not quite sure how it’s possible unless it’s a bhaji or poppadom which are normally gluten-free. The gluten free versions of naans/chapatti etc most likely wouldn’t be available. But pretty much most curries are gluten free recipes which is brilliant. It’s a real pain for me to work out what I am able to eat when travelling, never mind if I have to work out how to eat it.

If I ever make it to India I will be sure to pack a spoon!

2 Likes

They also eat with their hands depending. Asia is a big place. :wink:

1 Like

Tearing pieces off a hot, fresh naan to eat an Indian meal really complements the food.

5 Likes

I totally agree with you.
I love Indian food but I am certainly not keen about eating with fingers.

But if invited, like in the situation described above, I would most definitely follow suit and eat with my fingers, out of respect for my host and because not doing so would be rude in my book.

When in Rome do as the Romans. :wink:

3 Likes

Gods, no … I’d get in such a mess. I struggle with spaghetti bolognese and end up sucking it up noisily.
I’d need a spoon or a straw.

If it’s a roti or a naan then yes but I’m not comfortable eating with my hands even though I’m of Indian descent. I prefer a :fork_and_knife:. If it’s Chinese food then I prefer :chopsticks:.

1 Like

If I had used all the Naan bread I would use a spoon and fork for what was left. The hands would get very greasy otherwise. I’ve used chopsticks once or twice for a Chinese meal. I’ve come to the conclusion that at least a couple of pints before helps to overcome any inhibitions about using them.

I have seen Indian people who I work with eating like this.

I guess I would try it if I were in India and that was the way to do it - like I tried eating with chopsticks in Vietnam and China
(I have never been to India)

1 Like