World War II box set

I had to google it, but it appears that Rheinwiesenlager were an American idea, not British.

The events I read in your link are without any documentary evidence, as far as I can see. Even if true, these are things which are probably isolated incidents and could not be compared to the German war crimes which have been widely documented and proven.

Of course we firebombed Dresden…
after the Germans had done the same to London.

I’m ashamed to say I never listened in history lessons at school, they just didn’t interest me yet as I have got old…ish I wish I had now. Happy viewing Tabs

EXACTLY ! The German civilians were certainly quite happy inflicting untold suffering upon the innocent, as long as they, the Germans were winning. Even a casual look at WW2 German films , clearly showed the German civilians smiling in delight as Germany overran Europe.

I did say allies.

Unlike the atom bombing of Japanese civilians eh baker man??
Just saying ??
Let’s just say they bloody deserved it !!

Donkeyman!

Not what I asked:

“I’m not disagreeing because I really can’t be sure, but can you cite any British examples?”

DELIBERATELY attacking civilians which was first done by the British following an accidental off target bombing by a SINGLE German aircraft.

On the other hand, I believe that those two atom bombs (midgets by today’s standards!) saved many more lives had the war continued than they killed.

Check out the link that I offered in post 41.

Did we know at the time that it was an accident?

I don’t think the Dresden firebombings began until after Hitler began regular bombing of London.

Please, I meant no fault of British or American air forces in the bombing of Dresden. I only meant to say that SOME might think that bombing Dresden was a war crime because Dresden had no military value. Make no mistake about it, Germany deserved what she got after she had caused the death of 50,000,000 people.

Yes it's true America saved our bacon by supplying us with arms
etc bakerman, we were woefully un prepared for war early on!
 If Hitler had invaded in the first year  he would have over run UK
 in 3 weeks??  The large British fleet he was scared of was mostly
old outdated and out classed but Hitler didn't know that ! The ships 

and crews were not equipped to handle air attacks !!
I think the irony of WW2 Was that all the aid we received had to be
paid back after the war, whereas Germany was rebuilt by the allies !!
Work that one out ??

Donkeyman!

Yes, indeed, that was ironic. I must admit I am woefully unversed in why this came about.

No l didn’t take it that way at all BM

Donkeyman!

Don’t play down the role of the American fighting forces. Without the blood spilled by the Septics all the hardware would have been of little use.

As for rebuilding Germany, that made very good sense. First class low cost workforce who would WORK (unlike the Brits) and turn out very high quality goods. Additionally it would do away with punishing Germany as per Treaty of Versailles which had led to the understandable emergence of the German Reich.

I think it was due to America’s, ( justified imo) fear of communism
Bakerman ??
Remember Macaurthyism ??
It’s been nice chatting to you BM, I’m going to bed now, good luck !!

Donkeyman!

Let us not forget that the Russians also played a major part in the defeat of Nazi Germany.

In 1992, a statue of Sir Arthur Harris aka “Bomber Harris” was unveiled in London by Queen Elisabeth. The “SOME” I refer to in the above, jeered and shocked the Queen, by shouting “Harris was a war criminal”. In fact, the statue had to be guarded for many months due to constant vandal attacks on it. Harris remains a controversial figure to this day.
i don’t know for certain, but i suspect that those who jeered the Queen at the unveiling of Harris’s statue were the young and uneducated people who had no 1st hand experience being “BLITZED”.

Where have l played down the American forces aTodgy ??
Donkeyman!