Worker vanishes after being accidentally paid £150,000 for a month’s work – 300 times his salary

• What would you do? :thinking:

I haven’t had such an extreme example but many years ago when we were paid cash each fortnight I went to collect my pay and instead of a slightly thicker than normal pay envelope I was given this enormous pay packet with a fat wodge of notes rolled up in it.

I took it straight up to the pay office because it was ridiculously far too much. It was the first fortnight of computer calculated payroll and the computer had been programmed incorrectly. Instead of paying me for acting in a higher grade plus some overtime, it had paid my normal grade shift work wage plus overtime and also the higher grade full shift work wage plus overtime. (in those days I used to just about double my wage working overtime).

The pay office was so delighted to discover the error in the first pay fortnight that they paid me a full shift bonus on top of my corrected wages.

5 Likes

Ahh see, honesty pays! :blush: :moneybag:

2 Likes

Not knowing the workers circumstances it may have been the chance to better himself/herself.
Un-sure if it is illegal in that country to keep it or not.
I could`nt keep it,i would rather keep my job.

2 Likes

It wasn’t enough to make it worthwhile keeping anyway, let’s face it, it was basically an extra fortnight’s pay plus a bit. I liked that job too much.

1 Like

For £150 k? Stick it in a deposit account until someone demanded it back (and then start negotiations with “prove it”!)

1 Like

That’s stealing though Todger. You really can’t keep it. I understand why the guy ran off, but he’ll need to come back at some point…

I’d hand it back - it’s not enough to make me “disappear” … :009:

However, we don’t know the worker’s circumstances and “desperate times breed desperate measures” (WS) … :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I think it would be very tempting really to just run off, but this guy will be on the run for ages. And what happens when his money runs out? He’ll probably be put in prison.

Never let the law get in the way. In any case what I propose is not theft.

1 Like

Well its not exactly a gift now is it? :joy:

It would be tempting, though, wouldn’t it? :rofl:
:pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound::pound:

I don’t think I’d run away but I might leave it in my bank until they noticed……

2 Likes

Exactly … “the game’s not worth the candle” … :090:

1 Like

He’s unlikely to be still in country. One option for him would be to use the cash to get into something with a high return and little actual risk such as the South American drug trade.

1 Like

Is that an actual saying? About prison?

Theft is to deliberately deny something from its rightful owner. I would not have done that.

1 Like

Do you think he is thinking straight right now, to be able to organise himself to do that?

1 Like

Hmmm, thats a very loose way of saying “prove it” :joy:

Bing! Wrong answer.

But I would not be keeping it.