WOKE, Strikes Again

And that’s wearing high heels?

I know! The population is getting taller but a lot of my great aunties were under 5ft and you wouldn’t have wanted to call them dwarves! But that really is the definition :fearful:

As someone posted above that perhaps MG Midget should be looked into too, I offer the Frog-eyed Sprite to add to the woke list :rofl:

You wear high heels? :rofl:

OK, I’ll stand on a box and chin ‘yer!

1 Like

As it seems I’m only two inches off being a dwarf I think I’m entitled to say I’d rather be called a midget than Little People!

Little People is a bit twee and condescending isn’t it?

And besides, we all know the LittlePeople are Leprachauns.

This was my favourite film when I was a kid.

No need. Actually, I’m only 4’ 8" and that’s on a good day.

1 Like

Ha! Munchkin!

Ha! R2D2!

1 Like

So if the word ‘dwarf’ and the diagnosis ‘dwarfism’ is ok and acceptable, then why all the fuss in recent years about the panto Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs being changed to Snow-White and the Seven Little People?

3 Likes

It might be better if us White, privileged, normal sized, heterosexual, christians, just shut the chuff up ruthio…We can’t do right for doing wrong, and if we do something right, something in our history will offend someone anyway…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Even better, we should all wear sackcloth and ashes and go about apologising to everyone we meet for our good fortune in being white.

3 Likes

@JBR, White AND British JB !!
Donkeyman! :+1::roll_eyes::+1:

2 Likes

Although the Yahoo article didn’t mention it, the person who raised this matter is an “academic” who also has first hand experience of being called a “midget”

Although I had to laugh at the Daily Mail headline
“This is not just Wokery - it’s M&S Wokery!”
at least their article gave a fuller explanation of why Dr Pritchard contacted supermarkets about “midget gems” during “Dwarfism Awareness Month” last October.

Dr Pritchard has achondroplasia, the most common form of dwarfism.

Dr Pritchard acknowledged that some people may think the change is part of ‘cancel culture’ but argued ‘when people scream the name at you in the street, it is only right that it is removed’.

M&S have not been forced to make the change and it wasn’t their own brand name to start with - to be honest, I think the new name “mini gems” sounds more attractive.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, it sounds far nicer to me :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

And so changing the name of ‘Midget Gems’ is going to stop all the screaming?
They will still be ‘Short people’ it won’t make them taller…
The same way that giving the knee and making racism illegal, it’s just made it worse!

3 Likes

Oh, I don’t know. How about ‘Dwarf Gems’?

1 Like

Oohhhh you are awful. :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

But you like him lol

1 Like

Frog-eyed Sprite

:018:

(double woke wrongdoing)

1 Like

Ooooooopppppppss! :blush: Sorry - Not. :rofl:

1 Like