With the possibility of power cuts will you be shopping for candles?

Already decided if the power goes then it’s early nights for us. We do have an open fire in the den, but apart from sitting talking there’s nothing else to do, no telly, no radio or audio books. The battery on the tablets run down pretty quick as the tablets are getting old and don’t hold a charge the way they used to.

Or, more sensibly, you could think of those electric cars as a mobile, massive battery to power your house during a power cut.

Presumably the cuts will not be country wide (then you are in REAL trouble) so you can charge them anywhere then power your house for hours. (it does require some planning)

1 Like

WE still have our camping stove and gas bottles in my workshop and I know exactly where. I am very reluctant to throw out anything that may be useful in the future

I am more worried about war than power cuts.There are already supply shortages. Time to stock up on anything and everything while you can. A year ago I would have sounded nuts.

2 Likes

Perhaps two or three years ago? I think the pandemic showed how fragile the supply chain is.

I am well stocked up with toilet paper! :smiley:

2 Likes

I like the trickle down effect. © .gov.co.uk

Romance is not dead.

1 Like

I think everyone at the moment is a bit too keen to embrace the hardships of no power/ expensive power and the media are egging us on, it’s a good story

So we’re planning candles, flower pot heaters, Oodies, wind up radios, woolly jumpers heated airers etc air fryers etc etc, as if it’s all easy and a bit of a laugh

But the real misery of it hasn’t begun to bite yet, none of those things will make a significant difference and Pixie is right, we should be angry, not just accepting and trying to adapt

This lady told what it’s really like to no heat and that

“I’m sick of hearing people who’ve never gone without heating in winter telling people how they’re going to cope with it this winter”

It’s a healthy dose of reality, I think

If there are nighttime power cuts I shall go to bed .
I won’t be sitting there in the dark with just a candle no heating or tv .
Yes I will download a few plays in anticipation on my iPad and listen all cosy in bed .

Hi
I lived with the three day week and power cuts.

It will be more difficult now I older but I will do it…

I don’t see the point of getting angry and stressed out, there is nothing I can do about it.,Both main political parties are complicit in this mess and it is the legacy of years of neglect

2 Likes

I don’t know whether we will see power cuts this winter. The last time we had significant power cuts was the miner’s strike in the seventies. I don’t of any reason to replicate that.

I have several of the jar candles, given to me as gifts over the years. I might even have some tea lights somewhere. But as reading would be impossible, I will keep my large torch handy (that I take on dog walks), and make sure I have spare batteries. Can’t see what else I can do, so yes agree, might be early to bed for me and dog.

I don’t like to read too much news because of the scaremongering. As Swim says, we can’t do anything about it, just accept what happens.

And I think I see where you’re coming from Maree, flower pots, very silly indeed!

And dangerous, there’s going to be house fires. :frowning:

2 Likes

No candles here, we have a couple of big torches should we need them. Coal fire in the den gives a nice soft light as well.

I did notice condensation on the bedroom windows today. Time for the old victorian night caps too? Not sure what is the point of the long bit with the bobble though - was it for very long hair perhaps?

Oh well… I’m sorted!

In case of power cuts I have a lot of portable battery lights. Just hope there isn’t a shortage of batteries.
Won’t be able to shower tho, no hot water. We will be a very smell nation.

I’ve stocked up on batteries, the multipacks. Use them all the time. Just finding it hard to find rechargeable ones with a charger as those are selling out.

Remember as well, most phones today have a torch app. You can easily download it if it’s not already installed on your phone. They are pretty good too.

1 Like

If it happens.