Windows 11 installed

Don’t do what or else, go into the registry?

This is what it says:-

" Microsoft has also issued a rather severe warning that mentions possible ‘damage’ to unsupported PCs.

Microsoft also notes: “Your device might malfunction due to these compatibility or other issues. Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates.”

So, even if you get Windows 11 to run without TPM 2.0, you may find that you no longer get any updates in the future, which could put your security at risk.

For most people, then, we recommend you don’t force the Windows 11 upgrade on a PC without TPM 2.0. Sure, it’s frustrating, but Microsoft will continue to update and improve Windows 10, and you won’t be putting yourself or your PC at risk."C

(My Words:-) So, do you really want to put your licence to use Windows at risk?

Apart from the fact that the registry is a minefield and users enter at their peril!

I doubt that warning would have stopped as Microsoft are very experience at over egging their warnings.

As it happens I sorted out my secondary PC and will install Windows 11 tomorrow. If it goes tits up no problems as I will go back to 10.

My go to IT guy told me about TPM 2.0 after he’d updated my harddrive to an SSD. He didn’t think my box will be capable of updating to W11 so I should continue with W10 for now. He said that MS will probably continue W10 support until 2025 or shortly thereafter. He was expecting MS to make some changes in the near future so W11 is acceptable on older machines particularly as MS is a big, big green world supporter and wouldn’t want to be seen as someone who intensionally causes millions (billions?) of machines to be landfilled.

Installing on a USB stick in prep for tomorrow.

Same here, even though it’s an i5 processor. Not to worry, I’m the if it’s not broken, don’t fix it type.

ETA: there’s a compatibility program available from M$ you can install to see if your PC is up to the task.

Hi
My newish but cheap laptop is compatible and the upgrade was easy.
I also like the new system, very easy to use.

1 Like

Excellent … :+1:

Let us know how you get on … :slightly_smiling_face:

All done, cloned to SSD, and working fine in W11.

1 Like

Glad to hear it … :+1:

Anyone who’s machine is not compatible with Windows 11 need not worry. Windows 10 will still be supported until 2025 and run on after that but the support will end. This just means it will still run but you wont receive regular updates.
My machine is self built but though the security issues can be fixed the i5 processor is 6 years old and the series numbers are not compatible so I shall run Windows 10 until it drops dead. My information is that Windows 11 is just a glorified version of Windows 10.

After having rebuilt my systems to use W11, and having now got my stuff all working on it.

I’d like to say “It’s so much better than Windows 10”

But I can’t say that, because I think it’s quite a lot less user friendly.

As as for the hated updates, the first thing that my rebuilt PC did was to download a pile of system updates!

What does it do that W10 couldn’t do?

I’m still waiting for the answer to that!

:thinking:

MS is offering me Windows 11 for my desktops … should I bother … or stay with Windows 10 … :question:

1 Like

Do you need what it promises? Are there any reviews of it in use, so you can be aware of any problems.

As an aside…I’m thinking of getting a windows laptop, because my Chromebook struggles to multitask when I’m on a zoom call for class. :frowning_face:

No, I don’t need it … Windows 10 is good for a few years yet … but I wondered what current users thought of it … :slightly_smiling_face:

I suggest that you start a thread … and ask for advice … :+1:

1 Like

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Yes I probably should. I’ll do it if I decide to go ahead.

if you have an old desktop as I do (self build 9 yrs ago) the motherboard will not accept W11. With all the issues that can happen if going into registry ( I have dabbled in it on occassions) to get W11 better to get a new computer in my opinion,
So like many others I will stay with W10 for the time being

2 Likes

Both desktops are less than 2 years old and are W11-ready - I just wondered whether it was worth the bother of upgrading … :slightly_smiling_face:

do you actually need to upgrade and at what cost ? My late father always said if it is new let any issues get sorted first before buying.

1 Like

No, I don’t need it, even though it will cost me nothing.